• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest 45acp plinking load wanted

Before you do / buy anything: Get a good reloading guide and read / understand the requirements for safe, accurate reloading!

While I have a LNL progressive, my favorite press: Lee Classic Press (call it a semi-progressive) , CCI Primers, Universal Powder, Plated Projectiles

That said, there's nothing wrong with starting out with a simple single stage press.
Insomuch that I deprime and resize separately (so, I can lube, resize, deprime, inspect / clean brass),
You can then use a hand primer tool to sit and watch TV while "PRIMING AWAY".
Dispensing powder does not take a pull on the press, but bullet seating does.

By starting out with separate, defined steps ... you can concentrate on the process safety and accuracy.

BTW: The Lee Classic Press can be used as a single stage press (that you don't have to reset the dies each time you use it!)

Look at some YouTube Videos

The Lee Classic turret press is a good compromise between single stage and full progressive. Set up your dies once in the turret and done unless perhaps you change bullets. I use two Lee turret press with different die setups for all my (limited calibers) reloading.

Titegroup or W231 is my goto powder for .45ACP. I load low power, reliable loads for plinking, 230GR bullet using the lowest load specified for either of these powders From the Hogdon site. Use at your own risk. I use Barry's plated RN bullets, pick em up on sale, or FMJ's I buy from gun boards or shows when cheap. Grab bullets, powder, and primers from locals when you can to stock up and you'll be set for a long time.

I load 200 grain projectiles ( SWC, Flat Point, Round Nose) they are all the same price basically as the weight (Material) is the price difference usually.
as mentioned projectiles typically are your biggest cost in a pistol cartridge.
I use plated because I can use them at higher velocities, they shoot clean.
I use CCI primers and I typically use either HS-6 or Accurate #5, I don't really load powder puff loads, If I shoot a 45 I want it to shoot and feel like a 45, others mileage may differ.
anyway my cost for a box of 50 is right at 9.25-9.50 per box.

Wow, thanks for the link! Those are cheap.

Anyone have experience with shoot different weights from fixed sight guns and how much it affects it? I have NRM 1991 Colt that shoots dead on with 230g FMJs, will it change much with lead or different weights?

Back
Top Bottom