• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest 45acp plinking load wanted

While I'm not obviously not ready to cast my own bullets (one thing at a time, haha), what's the simplest way and what's involved? Is it simply melt the wheel weights and pour them into a mold and that's it? Obviously, special care has to be taken in the handling but is that the gist of it?
They must be sized/lubed.

They must be sized/lubed.

Some do not need to be sized, can be used as cast. Lube can be coated, or just tumble lubed in a plastic bag, and left to dry.

Traditionally, cast bullets were forced through a die, and wax type lube forced into the grooves, but there are other options today.

I use a lube sizer myself, others here local have played with other methods. If they measure to what you need, there may be no need to size if you are just coating them anyway (pistol). If rifle bullets, I always size and lube unless it's something odd like a paper cartridge Sharps, then I just pan lube. You have lots of reading to do unless you have a local mentor willing to spend LOTS of time with you. It's not super complicated but don't try short cutting. You are talking about making little bombs with controlled explosions inches from your face.

castboolits.com is your friend. Casting can be really simple or very protracted and involved. Be safe, consistent and have fun. Some of the tumble lube bullets from Lee can be shot as cast. Just tumble lube in Lee liquid Alox, let dry and load them up. I have a couple tumble lube molds and they do well.

I have seen quite a few blown up guns and all were due to loading error or firearm maintenance. How many times have folks here wanted to jump right off into a Dillon 550/650 and they never even pulled a press handle? Or have had folks recommend they get a reloading manual and read it and they objected, stating they can get load data "online"? I've seen it a bunch. You see the recommendations for a single stage to get started and people disagree and want to get into progressive presses right away. Bridge some powder in a powder drop on a progressive, because you wanna be quick and then you blow up a gun. One rounds gets a very small portion of powder and the next gets a nice heaping dose. You knock out 600 rounds in one hour and go shooting and a Kaboom occurs. What gets blamed? Cast bullets? Gun? Powder?

I first pulled the handle on a press in 1998. It was a Dillon 550B. I was enthralled with the whole process. I started with my own equipment in 2003. It was the RCBS Supreme Rock Chucker kit. I have knocked out tens of thousands of rounds on it. All single stage. In the mean time I got a Lee Classic Cast for pistol and re-adjusted all my dies for handgun for the Lee. Load rifle on RCBS and pistol on Lee. I check every round, one by one. That may seem slow and boring by certain standards, but I like the process and therapy of it. Very calming and rewarding hobby if done carefully and correctly. Enjoy yourselves.

I also use a lube sizer too. I have a Lyman 45 set up for .358 that never gets changed. I bought it in bad shape and rebuilt/reworked it and it is good now. I also have a Lyman 4500, that I use for everything else- rifle/pistol.

Also have a Lyman 45, it has 223 and 45 dies with it, have never used it.

Back
Top Bottom