• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapish glass for 500yds

sounds great, only problem is i gotta wait about 2 weeks for the funds. just doin some research right now and getting some opinions. you actively selling it or you got some time?

I don't have any to sell at the moment. I actually just put a cheap Tasco 6-24x44 on a 7 mag and can't find anything to complain about. I have a Nikon 5.5-16.5x44 on my browning 7 mag and I never thought I'd like anything else. I think the tasco came from sportsman liquidation for about $80. I had it for a .22 mag but needed one for the other 7mm so I decided to give it a try and really like it. Name doesn't always make em better.

Under $1K? Easy. Get a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24. I have one on my 300WM and it rocks. Not quite as nice as my NF, but half the price too...

Check out snipershide and ar15.com's optics classifieds sections. You can find good deals there too. I've seen NF 3.5-15's go for around 1K. You can easily find Leupold Mk4's for under 1K.

+1 on the vortex.

If your always shooting during good light, then you can get away with anything that will hold up. If your going to hunt with it too and have morning, evening, or shots into shaded woods...get the better glass.

The Vortex PST is awesome, close to it would be the Weaver Tactical. Have used both Vortex is a bit "brighter" but I don't think the resolution is any better in low light shooting. The controls on the Weaver are awesome. Both are under 1000.

I've also liked the Sightron SII Big Sky or SIII, or the SWFA fixed power. Can be had for less that the above.

I've also used Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50. Inexpensive, good for day use. Not so great in the early morning or late evening. Mid day comparison between it and the much more expensive PST showed marginal difference on an optics scale used to adjust digital photography equipment. (still subjective...but that is what lead me to coming to the conclusion that for day time range only...save the money unless your clicking on the turrets all the time)

Just as a sanity check I do hunt with a Ziess because resolution and early/late day clarity are more important than magnification. Keeping the magnification down for hunting actually helps with early shooting. Besides who is really taking greater than 300 yard shots for real? ( I only hunt point blank ranges & rarely miss out on a shot because they are to far away for big game )

Good luck, opinions run high in this area.

Back
Top Bottom