• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Chicago police chief: We'll shoot licensed civilians with guns.

legalizefreedom1776

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
17   0
Reaction score
http://m.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/...sed-civilians-with-guns/?wpmp_switcher=mobile

During an interview on radio stationWVON 1690 am
*this week Chicago’sPolice Chief Gary McCarthy*surprised listeners when he commented on the upcoming concealed carry law that must be passed in Illinois within the next six months. McCarthy made a scary prediction that citizens carrying legally could be shot by Chicago police.
News in Black
*reported, via*Guns Save Life
:

“You put more guns on the street expect more shootings,” McCarthy said. “I don’t care if they’re licensed legal firearms, people who are not highly trained… putting guns in their hands is a recipe for disaster.*So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but*when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire*and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”
McCarthy would not say what specific training officers will undertake if any. However, he did admit that in the past his department has made mistakes in shooting unarmed civilians. He believes the concealed carry law will increase those types of unfortunate incidents.

Anybody on ODT besides me ever beat LEOs in a match? I hate that weak argument about training. Reminds me of the Empire State Building shooter last year. NYPD fired 34 shots at one suspect, at less than 10 feet and hit 9 civilians.

It is a really weak arguement. Some LEOs don't practice at all much less train, not all but some. Sounds like the CPD needs to do some work on use of force if they are shooting unarmed civilians and can't seem to be bothered to see if a licensed civilian is a threat to them.

I wouldn't interpret the Chief's statement as a threat, but a statement of fact. In the split second between identification and processing of a lethal encounter, of COURSE more plainclothes/civilian personnel will be injured by LEOs, especially in an environment like Chicago that isn't USED to civilian carry. The answer isn't to bash the civlians being able to carry, it's more training in shoot/don'tshoot of the officers. AND it would help to incorporate a "how to behave when cops arrive" lesson in any required training for licensure (dunno if they have mandatory classes or not for civilian permits).

As far as beating cops in competition goes: of COURSE you will beat them. The average officer shoots about 60 rounds annually, and that's if the department requires requals twice in a year. Sadly, especially in a couple of State Agencies I know, *all* there is time to do is run Basic programs and complete a bare minimum of continuing education, due to budget restraints as expressed by labor shortage in training divisions....and statistical analysis of work production. Quantifying public safety is such a wonderful thing (not).

This is a topic we cover at length in our classes.
Pretty much every police dept. that I know of has essentially the same policy.
It's not that they are targeting any one group.
ANYONE, including off duty officers are at risk of being shot by first responders if they turn their guns muzzle in the direction of those officers & do not follow their commands & identify themselves..

When those officers arrive, they don't know who you are.
You do not have a sign on your back that says, "Good guy".
Massad Ayoob has spoken of this many times & has several articles on this matter.
That's why it is critical to incorporate drills into your training where you break out of the tunnel vision associated w/ a defensive shooting & gain "visual command" of your environment so as to recognize, communicate, & avoid an accidental shooting by responding officers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom