• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Chicago police chief: We'll shoot licensed civilians with guns.

Lol thats what I am saying... I have seen some pretty piss poor shooting by LEOs.

I'm an LEO and you are correct.... There are plenty of LEO's that barely make their quarterly qualifications just to carry their gun.

I've also see just as many gun enthusiasts who own 10+ guns and can't shoot worth a darn. Just because you have the cash to buy the toys doesn't mean you know what your doing with them..... Think I'm wrong? Watch an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

Bottom line no matter what you job title is it doesn't make you a proficient shooter. Taking your training seriously and putting in the trigger time does.

That’s kind of funny considering those same gun owners MAY see you as a threat and will not wait to see if you mean them harm....considering most of my associates shoot better and train more than most LEO.

So I say this Mr. police chief...when your officers start shooting legal law abiding citizens...they and their families will become targets...so why lead them to such a demise?

If a cop shoots at me first (his mistake) and misses or a flesh wound, would that give me the right to return fire with accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

If a cop shoots at me first (his mistake) and misses or a flesh wound, would that give me the right to return fire with accuracy.

I'd say he's likely right that it's inevitable that eventually an innocent carrying civilian will get shot by police. If concealed carry is allowed in all 50 states, it's bound to happen.

Concealed carry is not something that's new though. It hasn't happened yet so I'd say future occurrences will be rare. The benefits outweigh the costs.

Sounds sorta like common sense in a way.
Seems like he's intimating that if you draw down on a cop...you get shot.

"So I’ll train our officers that there is a concealed carry law, but when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire and we’re going to have tragedies as a result of that. I’m telling you right up front.”

Still a little incendiary and dramatic.

Having grown up there, I can say without a doubt that the Chicago Police Department, including much of the rank and file, is not gun friendly in the slightest. I knew many cops who thought no one but them, and their families, should be allowed to own firearms. Chicago police officers purchase their own weapons. When the registration freeze went into effect in 1983, police officers continued to be allowed to register 3 handguns. I asked an officer why the number was three. He said: "my service pistol, my backup gun, and one to leave at home for my wife." That's what the union negotiated.

I'm glad I escaped. The only thing I miss is the museums and I've gotten over that.

Back
Top Bottom