• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Chicago police chief: We'll shoot licensed civilians with guns.

This is a topic we cover at length in our classes.
Pretty much every police dept. that I know of has essentially the same policy.
It's not that they are targeting any one group.
ANYONE, including off duty officers are at risk of being shot by first responders if they turn their guns muzzle in the direction of those officers & do not follow their commands & identify themselves..

When those officers arrive, they don't know who you are.
You do not have a sign on your back that says, "Good guy".
Massad Ayoob has spoken of this many times & has several articles on this matter.
That's why it is critical to incorporate drills into your training where you break out of the tunnel vision associated w/ a defensive shooting & gain "visual command" of your environment so as to recognize, communicate, & avoid an accidental shooting by responding officers.

QFT, yeah I agree. The fact that this clown "guaranteed" casualties is what has me worried.

To be the chief of Police in a city with the highest murder rate that also host the tightest gun control laws and then throw out a "warning" to law abiding citizens that if their officers encounter them they will probably be shot before they can identify themselves is absurd.

Sounds like he is attempting to release a little liability before his officers have another "bad shoot".

How about you grow a pair, face your lawmakers and demand some funding and legislation that will contribute to cleaning up your mass ghettos.

A** Clown.

Now, I have no use what so ever for Chicago political arrogance and mafia approach to things, but the key words were ".*when somebody turns with a firearm in their hand the officer does not have an obligation to wait to get shot to return fire*
I am a retired state police officer and it has always been that way..it is survival...If I came upon a scene and someone is was holding a firearm, if they turned in my direction with the weapon, I would likely shoot..

We don't live in Dodge City and unlike Matt Dillon, If we want to live, we can't afford to give the first shot away (some criminals practice a lot and are excellent marksmen) and we don't fire warning shots.

If you turn toward an officer with a weapon in your hand anywhere, you are likely to get shot.
I'm now retired but in a bad situation even NOW, if someone turns on me with a weapon, they will get shot, hopefully before I do.
Now I've been trained to do a rapid and I mean rapid assessment and I will, but I will not allow a weapon to be turned in my direction while I do it.

Think about this seriously for a moment, without any bias against Chicago, police or anything else..
If you come into a suspicious situation where you feel the potential for a threat and someone turns toward you with a firearm in their hands, are you really going to engage in a conversation...you have 1/10 of a second to decide LIVE OR DIE..what do you really think you are going to do.
Now given, every situation is different and you may decide not to fire and you may or may not survive and even in Chicago an officer may elect not to fire and he may or may not survive. The odds certainly are not in favor of surviving.

Situation awareness and rapid assessment is the key....but even a very experienced, well trained officer will not allow a weapon to be turned on him period.

I know there's incidents of overkill where officers shoot 30, 40 or more times at someone....the causative factors in that can be poor training, adrenalin rush from natural survival instinct or shear fright , (police officers are human and they experience fear just like everyone else) etc.
If you ever meet someone that has survived a gunfight , that tells you they were not scared ********, you have just met a certifiable FOOL.

I'm not defending Chicago or their police..in fact when I travel out west, I make it a point to plan a route that adds miles to my trip just to avoid the entire state of Illinois because of their idiotic laws but in this case the man is telling the truth and all departments that offer any advance training operate this way.
It is nothing new.

If; in a situation where I HAD to pull my weapon and keep it in my hands till police arrive, when they get there, I will NOT turn toward them, I will hold my weapon weapon high in raised hands finger out of the trigger and clearly visible and shout very loudly, I am NOT your threat, I WILL OBEY all your commands, then I will do exactly as I'm told while I am disarmed until everyone has calmed down and I can identify myself and tell my story.

Last edited:
Some of what he said was indeed a reality. However both his tone and overall message give a strong impression of someone who is antagonistic of armed civilians and has a callous disregard for their lives/safety.

I can see him saying those things to his officers and other LEO's, first responders but not in a radio interview. Unfortunately he is one of those that believes his fellow officers should be the only armed persons in Illinois. That way anyone who they encountered armed is either one of them or a criminal. Nice and easy.

Some of what he said was indeed a reality. However both his tone and overall message give a strong impression of someone who is antagonistic of armed civilians and has a callous disregard for their lives/safety.

I can see him saying those things to his officers and other LEO's, first responders but not in a radio interview. Unfortunately he is one of those that believes his fellow officers should be the only armed persons in Illinois. That way anyone who they encountered armed is either one of them or a criminal. Nice and easy.

I do agree...he did make it sound like that.

Anybody on ODT besides me ever beat LEOs in a match? I hate that weak argument about training. Reminds me of the Empire State Building shooter last year. NYPD fired 34 shots at one suspect, at less than 10 feet and hit 9 civilians.
Lol thats what I am saying... I have seen some pretty piss poor shooting by LEOs.

Back
Top Bottom