• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Chicago police chief: We'll shoot licensed civilians with guns.

Agree with everything you said. As retired LEO, I interpret the Chief as saying it raises the possibility of shooting licensed civillians. And, I agree, if someone with a gun turns and has it pointed at me, I will shoot first. +1 on training both LE AND civillians on "how to behave when the cops arrive".

Yes, you will beat most LE in competitions. I am happy to let you beat me at shooting pie plates. As long as I know that when someone is shooting at me, I can take cover , control my physiological responses, return fire and eliminate the threat I could care less. Huge difference in shooting when someone is shooting at you.

I wouldn't interpret the Chief's statement as a threat, but a statement of fact. In the split second between identification and processing of a lethal encounter, of COURSE more plainclothes/civilian personnel will be injured by LEOs, especially in an environment like Chicago that isn't USED to civilian carry. The answer isn't to bash the civlians being able to carry, it's more training in shoot/don'tshoot of the officers. AND it would help to incorporate a "how to behave when cops arrive" lesson in any required training for licensure (dunno if they have mandatory classes or not for civilian permits).

As far as beating cops in competition goes: of COURSE you will beat them. The average officer shoots about 60 rounds annually, and that's if the department requires requals twice in a year. Sadly, especially in a couple of State Agencies I know, *all* there is time to do is run Basic programs and complete a bare minimum of continuing education, due to budget restraints as expressed by labor shortage in training divisions....and statistical analysis of work production. Quantifying public safety is such a wonderful thing (not).

Actually to be accurate....YOU are now an armed civilian if you choose to carry. So be careful which end of the discussion you find yourself. I understand that you relate strongly still to your former career but that is not what you would be now if you choose to go out armed or arm yourself in your own home for that matter. These comments by the Chief there are incendiary and totally unprofessional....doesn't mean he isn't right.

Agree with everything you said. As retired LEO, I interpret the Chief as saying it raises the possibility of shooting licensed civillians. And, I agree, if someone with a gun turns and has it pointed at me, I will shoot first. +1 on training both LE AND civillians on "how to behave when the cops arrive".

Yes, you will beat most LE in competitions. I am happy to let you beat me at shooting pie plates. As long as I know that when someone is shooting at me, I can take cover , control my physiological responses, return fire and eliminate the threat I could care less. Huge difference in shooting when someone is shooting at you.

Chicago Closer to Settling Police Suits for $32M
One settlement would be the biggest yet to stem from the city's police torture scandal involving former Lt. John Burge

http://www.lawofficer.com/article/news/chicago-closer-settling-police

The committee’s chair, Ald. Edward Burke (14th), touched a nerve when he quoted from an appeals court ruling in the case: “They might as well have released her into the lions’ den at Brookfield Zoo.”
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01...nearly-33m-in-settlements-of-police-lawsuits/

Last edited:
Who ****in cares, it's Chicago. They are leading the nation in murder anyway so why is anyone expecting the police to actually do anything right anyway

Back
Top Bottom