• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Civilian Shoots, Kills Man Attacking Deputy on FL Interstate

I really hope our new administration signs laws that protect "good" guys with guns. ****'s going to keep getting worse and the last thing I should be thinking about when someone's being attacked is .... am I going to get sued if I intervene?

16-3-29 (4) C OF GA CRIMINAL CODE SAYS THAT A PRIVATE CITIZEN WHO ASSIST A POLICE OFFICER AT HIS REQUEST IS PROTECTED FROM CRIMINAL LIABILITY SAME AS OFFICER! THANKS TO A GOOD CITIZEN FOR HELPING OUT AN OFFICER IN NEED!

Didn't it end up in Fla? I can hear the travon crowd's rustling!

I never thought about that scenario. I guess its good to announce yourself as you step up to bat?
Well yeah, I certainly would...but whose to say that anyone believes you? I'm certainly not advocating abstaining, I'm just pointing out the reality that this gentlemen put himself in considerable danger in doing what he did. LE doesn't know your intentions when you pull.

But having said that, the LEO was asking the passerby to shoot the perp...in that case it's a little less risky to the civilian. However, if the account is true, and the LEO was getting beat up and asked the civilian to shoot the guy, I forsee that LEO being "immediately reassigned pending a further investigation."

How quickly one's life can change. Can't imagine driving by one minute and 30 secs later I've just killed someone. Carrying is such a HUGE responsibility. Good example to remind us of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been reading this thread, sometimes shaking my head in disbelief and others nodding in agreement. My take away from it is this:

If these doubts are going through your mind in the moment of decision, you either should not be carrying right now because you aren't ready, or shouldn't be carrying at all because you are emotionally or mentally incapable. I'm not going to speak of psychopaths or other criminally insane individuals when I say NO ONE WANTS to kill someone. Even as much as I rant about liberals, even I don't WANT to kill anyone. BUT, there comes a time when killing is a possibility of the ONLY reasonable, necessary course of action you MUST take. If you are carrying a gun, you automatically acknowledge that taking a life is a possibility. PERIOD. If you haven't faced that, put the gun away.

The other side of that is to acknowledge that LOSING your own life is a possible outcome to carrying a gun. If carrying means you HAVE to take responsibility for the lives and safety of others as well as yourself then drawing that weapon makes you a prime target to those who stand in readiness to endanger, harm or kill innocents.

So, carrying a gun means that you not only take on the power and responsibility for your own life or death, but the lives or deaths of others. That MUST be accepted or you MUST NOT carry.

Now, in this scenario, the cop was being beaten, with the possible outcome being his death. If you have chosen to carry then the ONLY question you need to ask yourself is "can I take the shot without endangering the cop further or an innocent bystander?". If the answer is YES, then you TAKE THE SHOT. If you will not take the shot, don't carry the gun.

Now, in this scenario, the cop was being beaten, with the possible outcome being his death. If you have chosen to carry then the ONLY question you need to ask yourself is "can I take the shot without endangering the cop further or an innocent bystander?". If the answer is YES, then you TAKE THE SHOT. If you will not take the shot, don't carry the gun.
I guess I see less than lethal solutions as preferable.

Back
Top Bottom