• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Clearing blow downs in the Cohutta WIlderness Area

Dang... That is an art! I can run a chain saw, but that takes it to a whole different level... Awesome job!
I prefer crosscut saws and axes if I’m hiking in several miles to cut blow downs. It weighs a lot less, you don’t have to carry in extra fuel, bar oil, spare chain, you don’t have to wear chaps (hot as hell in the summer) or ear protection and at the end of the day you're tired but not vibrating.

Never seen a crosscut saw not start but I’ve seen a bunch run out of gas.:becky:

So what’s the problem with chainsaws? Saves a heap of hard work.
Also I have a passion for crosscut saws as each on is individual and a well sharpened saw will “sing” when you get it going. It’s quiet so you can hear and feel what the wood is doing (bind shifting from top to side).

A chainsaw is a working man’s tool but a crosscut is a thinking man’s tool since you are the power behind every cut and you want to make as few as possible. If you miss it with a chain saw oh well make another cut, if you miss it with a crosscut it’s going to be a long day.

Best analogy I can come up with is the joy of shooting a sub moa bolt action and hitting 600 yard targets as opposed to spraying a 50 year target with a cheap AR.

Is this paid work or are you volunteering? Either way, good job! :yo:
Thank you. All volunteer. I instruct crosscut saw and chainsaw courses for the USFS and I am on their call back list when they need help after a storm. I also cut and do trail work for the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club and the Benton MacKaye Trail Association. Helps get me out of the house.

Also I have a passion for crosscut saws as each on is individual and a well sharpened saw will “sing” when you get it going. It’s quiet so you can hear and feel what the wood is doing (bind shifting from top to side).

A chainsaw is a working man’s tool but a crosscut is a thinking man’s tool since you are the power behind every cut and you want to make as few as possible. If you miss it with a chain saw oh well make another cut, if you miss it with a crosscut it’s going to be a long day.

Best analogy I can come up with is the joy of shooting a sub moa bolt action and hitting 600 yard targets as opposed to spraying a 50 year target with a cheap AR.
To add the crosscut saw only preforms at it's best with two people in tune with each other...Much respect getting to be a lost art..

Back
Top Bottom