• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CMP Talladega

How does it work…how many shooters can be on that range..how do you qualify?
Thanks rj...the rig makes it way more convenient. The first time we went, I spent more time trying to get the camera lined up and looking around for my phone and range finder than I did shooting...it solved that problem. :)

That range has 2 decks built over the top of big connex containers...and I think there's about 8 nice large shooting benches on each deck. You can move the tables around if you want to shoot prone or from a tripod, etc...and you don't have to qualify for that range since there's no electronic targets. I think I saw somewhere that there's 200 steel targets on that range...everything from small circles to full size elk silhouettes. It's definitely my favorite spot there.

Thanks rj...the rig makes it way more convenient. The first time we went, I spent more time trying to get the camera lined up and looking around for my phone and range finder than I did shooting...it solved that problem. :)

That range has 2 decks built over the top of big connex containers...and I think there's about 8 nice large shooting benches on each deck. You can move the tables around if you want to shoot prone or from a tripod, etc...and you don't have to qualify for that range since there's no electronic targets. I think I saw somewhere that there's 200 steel targets on that range...everything from small circles to full size elk silhouettes. It's definitely my favorite spot there.
Thank you
Haven’t been in a couple of years but I love to shoot steel…i feel another trip coming soon

Thank you
Haven’t been in a couple of years but I love to shoot steel…i feel another trip coming soon
Yeah, I had never shot steel or done any long range stuff until we went there and now I'm hooked...alot more fun than paper! :) That range is fun with 22's and AR9's as well. A range finder and spotting scope isn't a must have, but helps when you're reaching out to the farthest targets.

Yeah, I had never shot steel or done any long range stuff until we went there and now I'm hooked...alot more fun than paper! :) That range is fun with 22's and AR9's as well. A range finder and spotting scope isn't a must have, but helps when you're reaching out to the farthest targets.
Here's a video I made about the spotting rig and a couple of the long range rifles I built...
Man you have taken this to the serious next level…awesome

How's the experience with the spotter?
It has worked great for me, but I've never had a decent spotter before, so nothing to really compare it to. After our first trip out to CMP, I started looking for one, reading reviews on different models, etc...and I was thinking about getting a Vortex, but found this Celestron on Amazon for half it's usual price because it was listed as "used - like new" condition. It had good reviews, and since Celestron makes great telescopes, I figured I would give it a shot.

I had bought a couple Sig Romeo red dots on Amazon before in used condition for a significant discount...and when they showed up, they seemed to be completely un-used and never opened. The spotter turned out to be the same...it looked like it had never been removed from the box.

The scope itself is top notch in my opinion, and with the ED glass and 100mm aperture, the glass is very clear with a bright picture. I don't have any actual video looking through the spotter, but I can tell you that the difference of what you see through the scope, compared to what you are seeing in my video, that was taken with my Sony video camera...well, there's no comparison. It's night and day difference, and I'm definitely pleased with the purchase, for sure. I also like how it has built in sunshade/lens covers/and the soft case is made so you can mount and use it while it's still protected in the case.

Hope this helps...I'd give the scope a big thumb's up! :)
20211009_204923.jpg

I'm looking at Vortex Viper HD and Pentax PF-80ED-A myself. Leupold SX-4 Pro Guide is on the list also.

It has worked great for me, but I've never had a decent spotter before, so nothing to really compare it to. After our first trip out to CMP, I started looking for one, reading reviews on different models, etc...and I was thinking about getting a Vortex, but found this Celestron on Amazon for half it's usual price because it was listed as "used - like new" condition. It had good reviews, and since Celestron makes great telescopes, I figured I would give it a shot.

I had bought a couple Sig Romeo red dots on Amazon before in used condition for a significant discount...and when they showed up, they seemed to be completely un-used and never opened. The spotter turned out to be the same...it looked like it had never been removed from the box.

The scope itself is top notch in my opinion, and with the ED glass and 100mm aperture, the glass is very clear with a bright picture. I don't have any actual video looking through the spotter, but I can tell you that the difference of what you see through the scope, compared to what you are seeing in my video, that was taken with my Sony video camera...well, there's no comparison. It's night and day difference, and I'm definitely pleased with the purchase, for sure. I also like how it has built in sunshade/lens covers/and the soft case is made so you can mount and use it while it's still protected in the case.

Hope this helps...I'd give the scope a big thumb's up! :)
View attachment 3574168

Back
Top Bottom