• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

@cmshoot, Is this excessive bolt cam pin wear and should I replace it?

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
cmshoot cmshoot I've read a bit on the innerwebs and I'm curious as to your opinion on the matter. I'm shooting a home build AR 15, pencil barrel 16", SJC comp, JP Silent Capture Buffer/Spring, JP reduced mass Bolt Carrier, GI MPI bolt, GI firing pin. Mostly 55 grain ball ammo but IO do shoot 77's (handloads @2,425 fps) out to 600 yards for 3-gun. The rifle is great, lightweight, etc., and I'm using a Riflespeed adjustable gas block. It's consistently 1.75 MOA at 600 yards and that's fine, all I have to do is hit a 2/3rd scale IPSC steel silhouette.

My question is, now that I'm through bragging on my boom stick, what defines excessive bolt cam wear to the point where YOU'D replace one? I do NOT want my BCG to fail during a match so I'm trying to get ahead of this issue, if it is in fact going to BE an issue. I carry a large container of all kinds of spare parts when I attend a match so I could repair it as long as I can get the BCG out of the rifle, but if a $10 part is all I need to swap before a failure, I believe in the old "ounce of prevention" thing.

The cam pin on the left is the one in question. It's been scoured or worn so that the hole pattern from the BC is evident to the point of catching a pick or a fingernail. I do not see any incipient cracks under magnification, but that doesn't mean it isn't about to fail. What's your opinion? I had cam pins like this on old M16s at Bragg but never gave it a second thought as the Army would give me another one when they thought I needed one.

Would you replace this? I have new pins (pictured for comparison) at hand.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230309_100314.jpg
    20230309_100314.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230309_100329.jpg
    20230309_100329.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230309_100340.jpg
    20230309_100340.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230309_100350.jpg
    20230309_100350.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 36
cmshoot cmshoot I've read a bit on the innerwebs and I'm curious as to your opinion on the matter. I'm shooting a home build AR 15, pencil barrel 16", SJC comp, JP Silent Capture Buffer/Spring, JP reduced mass Bolt Carrier, GI MPI bolt, GI firing pin. Mostly 55 grain ball ammo but IO do shoot 77's (handloads @2,425 fps) out to 600 yards for 3-gun. The rifle is great, lightweight, etc., and I'm using a Riflespeed adjustable gas block. It's consistently 1.75 MOA at 600 yards and that's fine, all I have to do is hit a 2/3rd scale IPSC steel silhouette.

My question, now that I'm through bragging on my boom stick, is what defines excessive bolt cam wear to the point where YOU'D replace one? I do NOT want my BCG to fail during a match so I'm trying to get ahead of this issue, if it is in fact going to BE an issue. I carry a large container of all kinds of spare parts when I attend a match so I could repair it as long as I can get the BCG out of the rifle, but if a $10 part is all I need to swap before a failure, I believe in the old "ounce of prevention" thing.

The cam pin on the left is the one in question. It's been scoured or worn so that the hole pattern from the BC is evident to the point of catching a pick or a fingernail. I do not see any incipient cracks under magnification, but that doesn't mean it isn't about to fail. What's your opinion? I had cam pins like this on old M16s at Bragg but never gave it a second thought as the Army would give me another one when they thought I needed one.

Would you replace this? I have new pins (pictured for comparison) at hand.

Thanks
Just curious, legit question, why wouldn't you replace it and start working it in just to make sure and be positive you won't run into any problems? Preventative maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom