• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold Steel...SMH

NWGeorgiaSquatchman

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sons Of Thunder
163   0
Reaction score
So I sent off my Cold Steel Large Frame Espada blade about 11 weeks ago for a repair. I have been patiently waiting for it to show back up, as it is part of my camping gear and occasional EDC. This morning I found a package on my front porch from Cold Steel and I was all smiles. I opened it up and saw my blade and a note with two Tootsie Pops inside. The note read as follows:

Dear Mr.Couch,
This letter is in regards to the above referenced items you returned to us. These items have gone through inspection by our technicians and myself.
We are unable to repair the knife you sent us. The thumb plate screw has broken off inside the knife blade, and we cannot extract it without further damaging the knife itself.
This knife also will not qualify for our warranty replacement, as it shows definite signs of misuse and abuse. There are definite marks on the spine of the forward bolster that show signs of abuse and such activity is not normal of regular knife use. We also, upon further inspection, noticed damage to the lock-well at the tang, as the lock-bar now seats far deeper into the knife than usual. Such signs again void any and all factory warranty.
While this does not qualify for a warranty replacement, and the knife cannot be repaired, we are willing to make you a one-time offer for a knife discount one a new Cold Steel knife. If you would like to purchase a new knife, we will give you a discount of 40% off the suggested retail price so you can replace this knife as painlessly as possible. Just call our toll free number, and reference this letter to any of our known associates, and they can take care of you.
I have included your original knife in this box.

Sincerely,
Anthony Russel
Customer Service-Cold Steel

I was slightly taken back by this, as I have watched many of their promotional videos and seen how hard they are on these knives. How tough and brutal and long lasting they are. Now granted I go hard on a knife. In fact I put most of my equipment through the ringer (Another reason why I appreciate Glocks repair policy) and if it does't hold up then I replace it with something that will. I have had this knife for 3-4 years now and it has been a great utilitarian blade. From cutting kindling to start fires to scaling trout for dinner.

I figured I would at least call and complain a bit as I was under the impression that "Cold Steel knives were some of the toughest in the world" (direct quote from a Sales rep at the Blade show a few years back).

So I called and spoke with a customer service representative and explained to him my concern and how they have potentially lost me as a customer since their blades aren't as advertised. The gentleman explained to me that they do not warranty basic wear/tear as most companies don't, in which case I stopped him and explained to him how Glock treats their customers on repairs, how I had to send a Strider knife that I bought (of which I was not the original owner) and it was repaired free of charge, and how I even had a Buck Odyssey folder's blade chip off and they replaced no questions asked. He then started rambling a bit at how he was sorry that there was nothing he could do but the rules were the rules. I then just explained that I now better understood their policy and how I would no longer be using their products anymore, in which he replied "Well sir we do not keep track of lost customers so I am not quite sure what the point of your call was". Why don't you just tell me you don't give a ****! lol I laughed a little, told him to have a great weekend and thanked him for his time and hung up the phone.

Perhaps my expectations are too high now-a-days because products just aren't made to last anymore. But what ever happened to "the customer is always right"? When you treat people like this, it's how you loose your customer base. And I am sure I mean nothing to them, as they are a world wide distributor of edged weapons, but in my opinion, every customer matters! Not saying I expected them to replace my knife, nor do I think it should have even been under warranty at this point. However, to basically state that their product wasn't intended to be used in the ways that I have, when they themselves shove them through car hoods, cut through fire logs, cut through bamboo, hold over 600+ lb weights on an opened blade (stress test) to show how strong their Triad locking system is, I expected a better answer than "this knife shows signs of misuse and abuse". What is the point of a blade if you cannot use it and abuse it? A knife is a tool...

Anyway my ridiculously long rant is over. I will never again use a Cold Steel product and hope everyone else out there has better luck with their CS than I did. Have a great weekend everyone! At least I have two tootsie pops to enjoy cause we all know that makes it so much better :)

Sounds like a fair offer to me. The knife was used beyond what was warranted, as laid out in writing in their warranty. I'd be happy with the discount.

Sounds like a fair offer to me. The knife was used beyond what was warranted, as laid out in writing in their warranty. I'd be happy with the discount.

Oh the discount isn't the problem. Id say that aspect is quite fair. But as I stated at the end of my thread, for a knife company to claim how tough and durable their blades are, they customer service sure doesn't seem to agree with em

Oh the discount isn't the problem. Id say that aspect is quite fair. But as I stated at the end of my thread, for a knife company to claim how tough and durable their blades are, they customer service sure doesn't seem to agree with em

I'd have to agree... this sounds like one of those "do as we say, not as we do" situations. And for their videos to be more fair, they should probably state in big letters "DOING THIS TO YOUR KNIFE VOIDS THE WARRANTY"... of course, then the videos wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Don't use your knife to split wood. It is a knife not a wood splitter. There are hammers and wedges for that.

Don't use your knife to split wood. It is a knife not a wood splitter. There are hammers and wedges for that.

have you ever actually seen a large frame espada? it should easily be able to split small pieces of wood for kindling which is what I'm sure he's talking about

I broke a spring in the lock on my Cold Steel Recon and sent it back for repair with a note to call me with the repair bill and I would pay with a credit card. Got a package in the mail one day with a BRAND NEW RECON! Did not expect that. That was many moons ago, and with that being said, I've seen how the quality of their hawks has declined...........:(

I sent my obviously over used, abused, and missing parts SOG back, and they repaired, NO questions asked!

Then again the SOG is at a different price point to the Cold Steel. I like CS but I would not pay a premium for them either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom