• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold weather function checks/ lubricants

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
In some recent morning classes since it has gotten colder we've been having quite a few issues w/ students guns on the range malfunctioning primarily due to being overlubed or using the wrong lube for cold weather.
Some of these guns were carry guns.... not good.

If some of your defensive guns are stored in a vehicle, carried out in the cold, etc. it's a good idea to function check them in those conditions to insure their reliability.

Last edited:
Are certain weapons are lubricants more prone to this issue?

Definitely. Some lubricants are paraffin (wax) based & gum up in cold weather. Most guns are vulnerable to this to some degree but especially those w/ lots of metal to metal contact or tight tolerances. Also some people never clean out the cosmolene or whatever the thick, sludgy grease is that some guns are shipped with that is real prone to causing issues if not removed.

A good all around cold weather lube is______________? I run mostly 1911's....Meaning I own ONE, that I carry, and depend on. Carbon slide, aluminum frame, pretty tight gun...Any recommendations?

A good all around cold weather lube is______________? I run mostly 1911's....Meaning I own ONE, that I carry, and depend on. Carbon slide, aluminum frame, pretty tight gun...Any recommendations?

CLP or LSA. Forget about all the new miracle snake oil lubes. Either that or get a Glock and enjoy the comfort of knowing your gun doesn't need lube that could cause a malfunction in cold weather. :boink:

Back
Top Bottom