• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold weather function checks/ lubricants

I use hoppes gun oil for all of my guns....no problems as of yet. I wouldn't think it would be an issue since it's so "old school" lol

All we ever used was Hoppes when I was a kid. Dad and I went out one evening and the temperature dropped to around 10 degrees. Most miserable time I've ever spent in the woods. Anyhow, the action of his M88 Winchester was froze up and we had to unload it in the house later after the oil thinned out. A lot of the AR guys are using Mobil 1 synthetic on their guns. I plan to do the same when my economy size bottle of hoppes runs out.

All we ever used was Hoppes when I was a kid. Dad and I went out one evening and the temperature dropped to around 10 degrees. Most miserable time I've ever spent in the woods. Anyhow, the action of his M88 Winchester was froze up and we had to unload it in the house later after the oil thinned out. A lot of the AR guys are using Mobil 1 synthetic on their guns. I plan to do the same when my economy size bottle of hoppes runs out.

Funny, I just "switched over" to Mobil 1 synthetic last night in the 5w-40 flavor (turbo diesel oil). Lubed the AK, AR, and Glock with it.

My justification for using the Synthetic oil is 1) very high heat tolerance 2) good to very frigid temps (lower than I will ever go, and 3) at <$25/gallon, why not? I always have a couple gallons on hand for my VW TDI so I will never run out of gun lube.

CLP or LSA. Forget about all the new miracle snake oil lubes. Either that or get a Glock and enjoy the comfort of knowing your gun doesn't need lube that could cause a malfunction in cold weather. :boink:

10/4 that:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: one thing ive been using even on the glock is Zmax.. carbon wont stick to it and the hotter it gets the more it works..now gun shops are selling in small packets its good enough for Carol Shelby its good enough for me (secret 15,000 rounds no smiley)whaaat!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom