• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Detective Special .38 Special: Excellent revolver for self defense use

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
Over the course of the last several years many people have brought a wide variety of revolvers out to the range for use in training classes.

Early on, as an aid to helping shooters find the right gun for them, I carefully selected an array of the most popular guns for self defense use. In semi-autos "loaner" choices ranged from Glock 19's, 17's, 23's, 42's, 30S's, Smith M&P's (both 9mm & .22), 1911's, Shields, Bodyguard .380's, Ruger LCP's, Kahr TP 9's, to other forgotten styles.

Of course revolvers were often a big part of the training. It's funny how many times men would "apologize" for bringing one.
They didn't seem to understand how relevant & effective a revolver can be in the hands of someone trained in its usage.
The choices I offered as class revolvers varied from S&W 638's, 36's (a 3" that I loved but rusted too easily), 642's, a 63 (for low recoil/muzzleblast practice), a Rossi, a Charter Arms... to versions from Ruger.

The system that I had settled into was using a Ruger LCR .38 along w/ a Ruger LCR .22. I found that very few women could get through 250-300 rounds of .38 through an Airweight S&W or a lightweight Ruger, Taurus, or whatever.
Countless times I would swap the shooter out to the little Ruger LCR .22 when I would see obvious signs of distress or when the flinching became very apparent.
Many times (usually w/ Airweight 642's, Ruger LCR, Ruger LCP, or S&W Bodyguard) the lady would shoot one mag. or cylinder, & often just ONE SHOT then look at me & say, "I can't shoot that anymore..." because it was too painful.

While it is critical to spend as much time as possible getting used to their gun, a person can become pretty proficient w/ the operating characteristics of a revolver or semi-auto using a more user-friendly .22 that preferably has the same operational controls & manipulations.

The problem has been all of these lightweight .38's while being great for carry, are punishing during extended training sessions on the range. Several times I've had to break out the 1st Aid kit to tend to some cut or scraped skin suffered during recoil w/ them.

Out of frustration I finally sold the LCR .38. While it is a nice carry gun w/ a terrific trigger it's a bit light for extended shooting at the range for most ladies.
Occasionally a lady would bring out an old Colt Cobra or Detective Special. They seemed more user-friendly due to a variety of factors... primarily medium weight & great trigger.

I've been keeping an eye out for a Colt D.S. to add as a class gun. Well finally I picked one up recently & have been spending some time w/ it & have to say I am extremely impressed.

Jeff Cooper said, among many other things, that a good defensive handgun needs:

to be 100% reliable
to fit one's hand well
to have a good trigger
to have decent sights &
to be in an adequate caliber

I believe the Colt Det. Spec. fits those criteria very well.

As far as reliability goes these guns set the standard for revolvers for decades until the S&W J frames became more popular & took Colt's market share. In the 70's & early 80's most Police Officers carried a heavy 4" pistol on duty and many office personnel and/ or detectives carried a lighter 2" gun (Hence the name, "Detective Special").

Positives:
The grip is one of the most comfortable & natural pointing revolver grips I've ever used. It is very instinctive & comfortable. The gun just seems to align on the target perfectly w/ minimal effort.

The trigger is outstanding.
The double action is smooth & consistent & the single action (that I don't really use) is amazing.
By contrast one newspaper reporter brought out an unnamed revolver she'd never fired.
She had been carrying it for a few months & when we went to dryfire it before going "hot" she found that she didn't have the hand/ finger strength to pull the double action trigger ONCE:shocked:... That's a problem.

The sights are the typical front ramp/ rear notch combo that work better if the front ramp is painted a bright color.

The .38+p w/ modern defensive loads create a pretty good wound channel in soft tissue. In a lower power caliber, ammo choice is extremely critical so don't skimp when you "care enough to send the very best".

Other factors are:

Weight: At 25 oz. it is a little on the heavy side but not bad at all if you have a decent carry system.
Where the weight really helps is in reducing felt recoil. It is easier to shoot w/o feeling pummeled so new or exper. shooters will probably enjoy shooting it longer & more often.

The quality on these guns is simply outstanding. Almost old world craftsmanship at its best.

Ammo capacity: 1 extra round may not seem like much when compared to a 13 or 15 rd. mag. but 6 rds. vs. 5 rds. is an increase of about 17%. It is interesting that it doesn't "feel" any bigger than the J frame Smiths to most people.

Overall feel (purely subjective) This gun splits the difference well between a lightweight 2" airweight/ lightweight gun & a 4" heavy barrel standard sized one. Light & small enough to carry but heavy enough to shoot comfortably & control while doing so.

The accuracy seems to be as good as any other quality revolver which is usually better than the shooter.

Aesthetics: While it is my least concern... well maintained versions of this gun are handsome.

Negatives:
The cylinder release isn't quite as intuitive as the S&W or especially when compared to the Ruger (my personal favorite) but it seems to work fine when one gets used to it.

While it can be found in chrome, nickel, & blued steel it is rarely available in satin stainless.

Although I believe there were a few rare hammerless versions made, most have an exposed hammer but it is at least low profile to reduce snagging for defen. carry. A more widely available factory hammerless would be nice except the gun is no longer in prod. anyway. The resale value would take a big hit if a gunsmith bobbed the hammer.

Since it is not as widely distributed as the J-frame S&W's it can be hard to find holsters & accessories like aftermarket grips for.
I've found that the Ruger LCR/ SP101 holsters as well as a few of the J-frames fit but trial & error is required.

Prices on these guns when in good condition can be on the steep side but if you shop around they can be found comparably priced to a quality semi-auto. However, the resale also seems to be very good in the event the trade bug hits you or economic difficulties arise.
Interestingly right now the "snake" guns (Python, Cobra, etc) have went crazy pricewise some of them selling from $1500-$3000 or more.
Thankfully the D.S.'s can still be had (in my experience/ area)for $400- $550 for a good used one.

Overall, I'm very impressed w/ the Colt Detective Special & would recommend it to anyone who is in need of a good defensive revolver.

Attachments

• IMAG2256-1.jpg
    IMAG2256-1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG2267-1.jpg
    IMAG2267-1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Really any of the older Colt .38 revolvers in 2" are great. I own a Cobra, Agent, Detective Special and Lawman in .357 in 2". The DS is all steel so it has a little weight to it and you'll feel it if you use it as a EDC. So I suggest a Cobra or Agent for a EDC. Just as accurate as the DS but much lighter. The recoil is a little more noticeable but in a heated situation you wouldn't feel it.

Really any of the older Colt .38 revolvers in 2" are great. I own a Cobra, Agent, Detective Special and Lawman in .357 in 2". The DS is all steel so it has a little weight to it and you'll feel it if you use it as a EDC. So I suggest a Cobra or Agent for a EDC. Just as accurate as the DS but much lighter. The recoil is a little more noticeable but in a heated situation you wouldn't feel it.

Agreed. Colt makes/ made very fine guns. The talk is they might start producing some again which would be nice.

Good read. Thanks.

I carried a Cobra for some time just because of the advantage of the sixth round. Then I "upgraded" to DS-II because I preferred the heavier frame and the stainless steel frame (currently I carry a 686+, for the same three reasons). The only thing I would add, for the benefit of anybody that may want to buy a DS for personal defense, is to check the trigger reset. I found that it is not the same for all DS, at least the ones I owns or owned.
Which grips did you use? The DS was available with different grips, the old "service" type grips, wraparound wood grips, and rubber grips. I have big hands and the only grips I was 100% comfortable with where the factory rubber grips, followed by the service type with the addition of a t-grip. Never been happy with the wraparound wood grips.

Good read. Thanks.

I carried a Cobra for some time just because of the advantage of the sixth round. Then I "upgraded" to DS-II because I preferred the heavier frame and the stainless steel frame (currently I carry a 686+, for the same three reasons). The only thing I would add, for the benefit of anybody that may want to buy a DS for personal defense, is to check the trigger reset. I found that it is not the same for all DS, at least the ones I owns or owned.
Which grips did you use? The DS was available with different grips, the old "service" type grips, wraparound wood grips, and rubber grips. I have big hands and the only grips I was 100% comfortable with where the factory rubber grips, followed by the service type with the addition of a t-grip. Never been happy with the wraparound wood grips.

The wood are ok to me but I am ordering some aftermarket rubber grips to try out.
I can't get over how naturally the sights line up... it is just like pointing your finger at it.

I love my Glocks but am now really looking forward to the next revolver class to get some trigger time in.

Just finished detail stripping these two. My Glocks are "safe" from being replaced but what great guns these are.
I understand now why the Colts have such a dedicated following.
The triggers are extremely nice... and the quality of construction is top notch.

No disrespect toward the S&W's. As stated in the other thread I know there are Smiths w/ most of the same attributes.

Just happened to pick these two up recently & they took me (way) back to when I carried a Ruger GP100... another fine revolver.

No disrespect was inferred--All Manufacturers have their Devotees, as well as strong points and weak points with their Products...

For instance, the Ruger DA Revolvers are built "Tank Strong", maybe at the expense of some REFINEMENTS in the Lockwork & Trigger "Feel"--Colts are almost all BEAUTIFULLY Fitted & Finished, so much so that it is sometimes difficult to bring oneself to CARRY 'em--Smith & Wessons just seem to me to have the best combination of Features & Fitting, along with that SWEET DA Trigger I have grown to LOVE--YMMV, of course...

I will let you in on a lil' "Secret"--I have owned, shot and carried Roundguns made by S&W, Colt, Ruger, Taurus & even Rossi--And I NEVER "Felt Unarmed" with any of 'em!....mikey357

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom