• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Detective Special .38 Special: Excellent revolver for self defense use

No disrespect was inferred--All Manufacturers have their Devotees, as well as strong points and weak points with their Products...

For instance, the Ruger DA Revolvers are built "Tank Strong", maybe at the expense of some REFINEMENTS in the Lockwork & Trigger "Feel"--Colts are almost all BEAUTIFULLY Fitted & Finished, so much so that it is sometimes difficult to bring oneself to CARRY 'em--Smith & Wessons just sem to me to have the best combination of Features & Fitting, along with that SWEET DA Trigger I have grown to LOVE--YMMV, of course...

I will let you in on a lil' "Secret"--I have owned, shot and carried Roundguns made by S&W, Colt, Ruger, Taurus & even Rossi--And I NEVER "Felt Unarmed" with any of 'em!....mikey357

I'm about to add a Ruger SP101 w/ a modded trigger to our "range loaners". I think it will be a good bridge between the snubby .22 & the Airweight .38's so many people bring out.

I have a nickel DS just like the one in your picture. It was my first "compact" gun and I still love it even though it never gets shot anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks Protective Measures, now I won't be able to pick a couple of DSs here easy. Lol! :-) My wife shot the LCR and thought the recoil was too much. Borrowed an older Charter Arms that she really liked. Great read, now let the search continue.

Thanks Protective Measures, now I won't be able to pick a couple of DSs here easy. Lol! :-) My wife shot the LCR and thought the recoil was too much. Borrowed an older Charter Arms that she really liked. Great read, now let the search continue.

The LCR's & S&W Airweights (as noted in the first post in this thread) are great to carry but not so much fun to shoot.
Few ladies in my experience can handle shooting very many (& in some cases any) rounds through them.
The Colt D.S.'s are much milder to shoot, have great triggers, & most everyone really likes the 6 rd. capacity over the typical 5 rd. ones.

While they are heavier than the lightweight guns they only weigh about the same as a G-26 or 19 so w/ a good carry system the weight is not unmanageable.

Back
Top Bottom