• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Colt Trooper Mark iii Restoration

Ryno1819

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
87   0
Reaction score
Trying to get some input. I picked up a Colt Trooper Mark 3, nickel plated for cheap. Its not in the best of shape. It needs complete polishing or refinishing, and one of the grips is broken. How much am I looking at in restoration. I want it to look nice. It looks like it may have a fine crack in the frame under the cylinder, can this be fixed? I'm new to wheel guns. colt 3.jpgcolt 2.jpg!colt 1.jpg

Last edited:
That is not a crack where the screw is,it's supposed to be there. I know nothing about nickel finishes except that if you polish it a bunch,you could expose the copper under it. I'm not sure if all nickel guns have copper underneath.

As stated the "crack" is part of the plate for disassembly. I see a whole lot of potential. Too bad about the grip, I would replace it with factory correct grips and hand polish it (mothers, flitz, brasso) until it looks like a JWC revolver. It will simply be marvelous after that! Good catch!

Last edited:
What type of cloth would be best to polish with. I picked up a factory set of grips. I feel better that I know its not cracked.

What type of cloth would be best to polish with. I picked up a factory set of grips. I feel better that I know its not cracked.

I use old clean soft cotton t-shirts. Some are cut to size. I use cut t-shirts for oil cloths as well. Don't use paper towel.

Cotton only, work in small sections with light pressure. Mothers or Flitz will do wonders. Time,time time just take your time and you will see progress.
Nice looking wheel gun.

Back
Top Bottom