• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Communications - good radio sets?

Chris Mac

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
38   0
Reaction score
Just started researching comms and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Looking for three types of comm gear.

1. Portable set for person to person group communications (think 8-12 people). Must be expandable to add additional radios. Good range. Dual battery systems (rechargeable and run off of AA, etc.). Weather proof and reliable. I started looking at consumer brands but have heard stories about units breaking in tough conditions. Figured commercial/police/military quality might be better. Would love to have a base station with higher transmitting power.

2. Ham/short wave radio. I know absolutely nothing about this. Looking for compact setup with adequate transmitting power. Prefer someting that can run on 12VDC & AC and a good recommendation on a portable antenna system.

3. CB radios - again, compact but reliable and high quality.

Any tips on this stuff would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm hoping that some of the above can be integrated into one cohesive system.

In my limited experience, if you are looking to outfit 8-12 people on a budget you would probably just want to purchase some walkabouts made for the outdoors. a plus would be the GPS enabled ones that you can use to find the other radios if necessary. I've used the Garmin Rhino ones and they worked great. All you would need to do is aument with reachargeable batteries and charger.
Mid level you could try the ICOMs
Now if money isn't an issue then you could look into MBITRs or the Harris AN/PRC-152. But thats some serious hardware.

Don't overlook the radios used for marine communications. They are mostly waterproof and very sturdy. Have many channels and would be likely used very little away from the coast. Now as far as the regulations..???

Don't overlook the radios used for marine communications. They are mostly waterproof and very sturdy. Have many channels and would be likely used very little away from the coast. Now as far as the regulations..???

I was just about say the same thing. It's what we carry on the AT and our hike in trout trips. Also 07JKX has some knowledge in the radio area as well. I'd talk to him.

this....they aren't terribly expensive..less than $150...they are tough,can operate on AA batteries or rechargeable,depending on the model you can even get them with an encryption chip...there are base stations as well and after shtf who cares that you are broadcasting on marine bands?http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Hori...72Y8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313933330&sr=8-4

Last edited:
In a SHTF situation, I don't think a license will matter...just buy a manual and learn the basics of using a ham! I've bought 2 ICOM 75 watt mobile radios just for that reason!

Can someone explain the difference between a marine handheld operating on VHF and a standard GMRS/FRS handheld operating on UHF? Besides the wavelength of course :) Aside from floating, why does the single radio linked above cost 3 times what a set of quality, 5-watt GMRS radios cost? is it because they are marine rated, and use the marine channels only, which means a more specialized market, and therefore a higher price point?

Is there really that much more of a range increase with VHF over UHF? Wouldnt they both be line of sight only? I guess I am wondering why they make a better choice than a good set of GMRS handhelds for SHTF when we are going to be in the city or mountains, where LOS is essentially nonexistent.

Last edited:
The Garmin Rino with the built in radios are good for 2 or 5 miles depending on what band you use. I have a couple Rino 120s. The ability to transmit your GPS location every time you key the mic is a good thing. You can turn that off, of course too. I wish I had more than just 2 but they are pretty expensive at $250 to $400 per unit. Depends on which set you get. I did find a set at a gun show recently priced at $200 per unit. It was a deal. I should have bought them.

I dropped one of mine in a creek one time and realized it about a half mile away. I was still able to back track and find the unit with no problem. It was still on and working fine after being submerged in several feet of water for about an hour.

Back
Top Bottom