• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

No, home DEFENSE does not involve maneuvering in tight quarters......CQB/Room Clearing does. Are we defending our house, or sweeping it?

Cleared rooms for real in the Corps. I’ve cleared more rooms than I can begin to count as a LEO. I teach Home Defense/CQB/Room Clearing/Active Shooter. Unless I need to secure a family member or escape my residence because it’s on fire, I’m not clearing anything. I’m gonna defend and wait for the SO to arrive. If I need to clear for one of the reasons I previously mentioned, I can easily do so with a 16” carbine.

Is a 16” carbine ideal? Probably not, but neither is a handgun. An SBR, SBS, or SMG would be just the ticket, but the OP doesn’t sound like someone that wants to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve cleared multiple residences and commercial structures using handguns, shotguns (14” and 18”), carbines, 20” rifles, and SMG’s.

I too have cleared 100s of structures looking for armed men. Not once have I ever felt at a disadvantage because I was doing it with a carbine. Nobody that clears a house/commercial structure anywhere in the world looking for a real bad guy does it with a pistol.....unless he is forced by some archaic policy. There is a reason for that. Finally the internet myth that a pistol is the ideal tool for defense in any armed engagement is just that..... a myth. A pistol is like a pocket knife.....convenient. But when it comes time to cut off heads you need a machete. And if you can only have one to lay beside your rack, don’t choose a pocket knife.

No, home DEFENSE does not involve maneuvering in tight quarters......CQB/Room Clearing does. Are we defending our house, or sweeping it?

Cleared rooms for real in the Corps. I’ve cleared more rooms than I can begin to count as a LEO. I teach Home Defense/CQB/Room Clearing/Active Shooter. Unless I need to secure a family member or escape my residence because it’s on fire, I’m not clearing anything. I’m gonna defend and wait for the SO to arrive. If I need to clear for one of the reasons I previously mentioned, I can easily do so with a 16” carbine.

Is a 16” carbine ideal? Probably not, but neither is a handgun. An SBR, SBS, or SMG would be just the ticket, but the OP doesn’t sound like someone that wants to go down that rabbit hole.

I’ve cleared multiple residences and commercial structures using handguns, shotguns (14” and 18”), carbines, 20” rifles, and SMG’s.

Double tap

I too have cleared 100s of structures looking for armed men. Not once have I ever felt at a disadvantage because I was doing it with a carbine. Nobody that clears a house/commercial structure anywhere in the world looking for a real bad guy does it with a pistol.....unless he is forced by some archaic policy. There is a reason for that. Finally the internet myth that a pistol is the ideal tool for defense in any armed engagement is just that..... a myth. A pistol is like a pocket knife.....convenient. But when it comes time to cut off heads you need a machete. And if you can only have one to lay beside your rack, don’t choose a pocket knife.

OK, OK, we get it!!!

Lol JK! Just messing with ya over the quadruple post :p

Spend $500 on the rifle and the rest on ammo. The rifle is the cheap part, its the ammo that's expensive.

Save money for training. Take a class. Learn the platform. Green eyes, black rifles is an excellent book. Get it. But take a class. cmshoot cmshoot is an excellent instructor.

I agree with one of the other posts that you shouldn't wait too long as you never know when prices will spike due to the craziness that's happens in the country lately. Looking back, my father and I went to a local show not long after the Sandy Hook shooting and had to pay about triple the price for a "standard" model AR. Boy, was that a learning experience. Right now there are several solid options around $600ish. I always enjoy hitting the local gun shows to see all the different models available. Most dealers don't mind you picking up things as long as your not careless with the item. Just a thought for you.

ar pistol.jpg

Back
Top Bottom