Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

Ruger is NOT a good option.

Unhrouded firing pins (yes, someone still purposefully makes that poor and terribly designed style carrier), YFS fasteners with insufficient staking, random coating on firing pin, poor finish machine work on a NON HP/MPI 9310 bolt , barrel nuts that are 90% of the time excessively torqued, and 100% of the time installed without anti-seize. FSP pinned with what is likely a 50T press, plastic delta ring, **** rear BUIS with only 1 aperture selection, non-shielded handgaurds, and most of the time, unstaked castle nuts.

Absolutely zero reason to buy that pile of trash.

For the $1,000-ish range, your answer is BCM or Sionics Weapon Systems. I dont push SOLGW anymore until they can get their **** together. I cannot count the number of people who had orders go well past their noted lead time or screwed up NFA paperwork. The products are fine, but the shipping/inventory integrity portion of their their business is currently garbage.

OP, one thing to consider. The vast majority of AR owners are not happy with clamshell handguards, mil spec grip and stock, FSB, etc. Can't possibly imaging the number of people that have bought a 500/budget AR to "save money" and then go buy a $200 free float rail, 50+ dollar low profile gas block so said rail fit, $50 stock, $25 grip, $100 trigger, etc, etc, etc. You have now dumped a lot of money into a bottom tier AR and are stock with a bottom tier barrel and BCG, 2 of the most important parts. Spend the extra funds up front and get yourself a better AR. You have budgeted for some quality, don't back off that just cause some folks are cheap. If you will be happy with the components and styles of a $500 AR, go for it. But if you think you won't be down the road, buy better now.

My 2 cents . Go with the Ruger and get a CMMG 22 conversion. You can shoot lots on the cheep and get used to the rifle. Then change it back for 223/556 the more expensive ammo .

If the OP wants a firearm for HOME DEFENSE, why are you asking how well it fits in his purse or glove box? Doesn’t have to fit ON a nightstand, it can lean against it, or the wall, just well.

We are not talking about the last 6 folks that you talked to in reference to home defense, we are talking about the OP. He is obviously VERY interested in an AR because he specifically stated it. He didn’t ask what type of gun for home defense, he asked for a recommendation for an AR for home defense.

A revolver is not an easy system to run accurately or well. I used a wheelgun for years, both as a carry piece and in competition, and am very competitent with one. I run Revolver classes and teach folks to use them. It takes diligent practice to be accurate with a double action trigger and reloads are not intuitive. I do like a good wheelgun, one of my favorite bedside table guns, for ME, is a 4” S&W M-28. Not what I’d recommend to most folks.

I assumed the OP is male. If I’m wrong I’m sure she’ll correct me. I’ve got a wife in my house, she has her guns and I have mine.

Home defense means different things to different people. The folks I know want their defense piece with them most of the time, like when feeding the dog, or the cows. Or when walking to the mailbox to check mail. Or to make it from the car to the house unmolested, or to have it while in the kitchen - far from the bedroom. Or answering a knock on the door in the middle of the day.

Most want one gun, and a long gun us not suitable as it is " leaned against the wall", and not close by when needed.

"He is obviously VERY interested in an AR because he specifically stated it"

Or the 7+ year member is merely trolling us.

I agree with one of the other posts that you shouldn't wait too long as you never know when prices will spike due to the craziness that's happens in the country lately. Looking back, my father and I went to a local show not long after the Sandy Hook shooting and had to pay about triple the price for a "standard" model AR. Boy, was that a learning experience. Right now there are several solid options around $600ish. I always enjoy hitting the local gun shows to see all the different models available. Most dealers don't mind you picking up things as long as your not careless with the item. Just a thought for you.
This post makes a good point. With all the hoopla going on the prices could shoot up in a few minutes. So not to rush you but don't wait and buy it now. Not now, I mean immediately. By all means don't rush just don't wait a single minute more. LOL

Home defense means different things to different people. The folks I know want their defense piece with them most of the time, like when feeding the dog, or the cows. Or when walking to the mailbox to check mail. Or to make it from the car to the house unmolested, or to have it while in the kitchen - far from the bedroom. Or answering a knock on the door in the middle of the day.

Most want one gun, and a long gun us not suitable as it is " leaned against the wall", and not close by when needed.

I know very, very, very few people that have or want only one gun. Actually, it's just 1. My 90 year old grandmother. And it's a revolver.

OP stated that he already owns 2 Glocks. He already has the handgun portion well-covered for trips to the mailbox.

Back
Top Bottom