• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

get a ruger mini 14 instead

CD80318D-DC2A-42F6-826F-D6CF3C09C43E.gif

Interesting post and here is another perspective. I know a guy who has multiple ARs that include Sig Sauer, STAG, Anderson, DPMS, Armalite, ATI/Omni, AERO/CMMG, Bushmaster, Wilson, Colt, Delton, Palmetto State Armory (PSA), PTAC, and Ruger. He shoots a lot, is a bit of a preppper, and is not a long distance shooter. He strongly believes a PSA will meet the function needs of at least 90% of the shooters. And also any AR is not the best for home defense. How's that for my first post?
Lol someone that owns a bunch of ARs claims they aren’t the best for home defense isn’t necessarily the best support for an argument. I work with countless special ops guys overseas and they all have ARs and handguns back home for self defense.

Home defense means different things to different people. The folks I know want their defense piece with them most of the time, like when feeding the dog, or the cows. Or when walking to the mailbox to check mail. Or to make it from the car to the house unmolested, or to have it while in the kitchen - far from the bedroom. Or answering a knock on the door in the middle of the day.

Most want one gun, and a long gun us not suitable as it is " leaned against the wall", and not close by when needed.

"He is obviously VERY interested in an AR because he specifically stated it"

Or the 7+ year member is merely trolling us.
He said he owns two hand guns. Thinking someone else might be trolling.

Best value for money has to be the Ruger or the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II. Both are as solid and reliable as anything else for most purposes, and have great customer support behind them.

I really like my FN-15 as well, but they are a little more expensive unless you get them on sale. Solid rifle otherwise so far.

The Savage AR 'patrol' model is also pretty good value, since it has pretty decent furniture already on it, which is something you will otherwise spend a hundred (or more) on.

Buy a Colt if you want to overspend, but know that most of what you are paying for is that horsey on the side. As a first AR they won't bring any added value to the table (sorry Colt fans).

Ignore Springfield. Same price as Colt and you don't even get the horsey.

Keep away from DPMS and Bushmaster unless it's a range toy you don;t mind being broken half the time.

Just remember that this is a first AR, not the last one. buy something you can mess around with without breaking the bank, but that still has a good manufacturer behind it.

They have a video out of improperly assembling a BCG....and it is the assembly practice they use, they have been known to use red loctite on the receiver extensions, inferior materials, lack of any or proper staking, blah blah blah....

In the market we are in where quality components can be had for typically, just marginally more, there is just no reason to purchase half ass rifle parts.
Agreed.

I think he waited to long. All the entry level AR's are gone. If you are going to get one get it now and pray you aren't to late. They are flying of the shelves like hot cakes. Even the mid priced ones are going fast.

Back
Top Bottom