Computer is sloooooooow

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
My computer is gotten really slow to load web site pages. It's a cheap Dell computer about 4-5 years old. I've tried everything that I know to clean it with very little change.
I was wondering if anyone knows a site that I can try and clean any spam or adware as I think this could be part of my problem. Keep in mind my computer skills and knowledge is somewhat limited.
I have pictures of the family and some music that I'd like to try and keep.
Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks guys

My computer is gotten really slow to load web site pages. It's a cheap Dell computer about 4-5 years old. I've tried everything that I know to clean it with very little change.
I was wondering if anyone knows a site that I can try and clean any spam or adware as I think this could be part of my problem. Keep in mind my computer skills and knowledge is somewhat limited.
I have pictures of the family and some music that I'd like to try and keep.
Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks guys

IT technician here. Go to control panel and them programs and features I assume you are running Windows Vista or 7 due to the age of the PC. Go through the programs and remove any odd looking programs/or programs you don't use. Once that is done restart the PC and open up internet explorer or what ever browser you may be using. google "malwarebytes" you should find a free to download trial of this program. once downloaded run a full scan. If it comes back clean that is good. If it detected any malware files it will tell you and give you the option to remove them. (this is not always a solution depending on how deep the virus has gone but it's a good starting point) once cleared or it is came back clear open up your antivirus program and more than likely it will have an option to clear out temporary files then do so. If your internet browser is running slow make sure you don't have any add-ons running within the browser and stuff like google toolbar or ask toolbar those should be removed.

I favor MAC in my home, however for future reference... When my company buys new workstations we use Vision Computers on Jimmy Carter Blvd to build them to our specs. By having one built, you avoid the background programs and adware that Dell, HP and others put on the PC to help drive down the cost through big business advertising dollars.

Running Malwarebytes helps, also maybe smk1026 can recommend a good registry repair/cleaner program, and maybe a drive cleaner to remove old cached items and .tmp files. Finally... Setup a regular schedule to defragment your hard drive.

Quite honestly, these are only band-aids to postpone the inevitable. The Internet is advancing in graphics being used, and a 4-5 year old computer is outdated by today's standards. My advice is start saving NOW for a new computer and do this other stuff to delay the purchase as long as you can.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom