Computer is sloooooooow

IT technician here. Go to control panel and them programs and features I assume you are running Windows Vista or 7 due to the age of the PC. Go through the programs and remove any odd looking programs/or programs you don't use. Once that is done restart the PC and open up internet explorer or what ever browser you may be using. google "malwarebytes" you should find a free to download trial of this program. once downloaded run a full scan. If it comes back clean that is good. If it detected any malware files it will tell you and give you the option to remove them. (this is not always a solution depending on how deep the virus has gone but it's a good starting point) once cleared or it is came back clear open up your antivirus program and more than likely it will have an option to clear out temporary files then do so. If your internet browser is running slow make sure you don't have any add-ons running within the browser and stuff like google toolbar or ask toolbar those should be removed.

Perfect....sounds simple enough. Thanks alot

google chrome........I have not tried another browser..... how was the speed test results ?

I used google chrome for about a year and it kept crashing on me (people swear by it but it isnt for me) it enables add-ons even when they are turned off causing slow internet speed. Try firefox if IE isnt your thing. also if your PC has lots of clutter there is a program called CCleaner for cleaning out the hard drive. If you see a massive decline in performance the PC will probably need to be restored or replaced. Restoring is free if done yourself there is a feature in "start" where you have an option to create a recovery disc if you don't already have one. If you need further details on that aspect feel free to PM or youtube is your friend as well, but to me it sounds as if it's a browser issue.

Try downloading Firefox internet browser and using that before running scans once you are running firefox delete google chrap ;) if it is still slow then download the malware program and run a scan.

Malwarebytes is cool but I have had more luck with Hitman pro in the past, especially on some root kit´s, Then again if its that bad you really just need to wipe and start over.

These 3 will fix what can be fixed-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/roguekiller/

Rogue Killer will stop all running rootkits and most scripts.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

CCleaner will delete a lot of cached stuff, and can clean up the registry.

And as already mentioned, Malwarebytes will find the other stuff.

Might need to run Malwarebytes in "Safe" mode, it will find everything there.

Once everything is clear, go to the stop button in lower left of the screen, click on it, and type "msconfig" in the search box and hit enter.

This will bring up a box, under the General tab, select the "selective Startup" button, then click on the "startup" tab.

Uncheck everything except your anti virus and malwarebytes, click on the apply button, it will ask to restart, click ok and restart.

This will prevent every program from loading when you start the computer, they still start when you need them, but are not running tying up memory and cpu when they are not needed.

Back
Top Bottom