• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed Carry laws in Georgia...

I certainly would hope that leo has the right to ask you if you have a carry permit IF he has reason to believe you are carrying. If he does not, it is like a leo not being able to stop or question someone he has reason to suspect they just robbed a bank. If I were to be asked by leo if I am carrying I would tell them yes and I have a carry permit. Would not bother me at all.

Robbing banks is a crime, carrying a firearm with a licence is not. It is like having to prove I didn't steal the money in my wallet. Or it would be the same as leo pulling you over just to see if you have a driver license. It's called being free of illegal search or seizure. We do have a constitution you know.

I am going to research this however, thought I would ask you guys too :) ...

I was told by my firearms instructor that police were not allowed (by law) to ask you if you possessed a concealed weapons permit. He said he heard that, but was still unsure.

Does anyone in here have an idea? THANK YOU! ;)

IF you want, I can email you a copy of my whole email that I had with several state representatives about carrying a firearm in ga. You'll have names, what was asked, and their replies. I fought for that info for several months.

Here is why you should not hand your GWL to a police officer during a routine traffic stop.

The officer is just like you and me (or most of you and me). He wants to get through his day as easily as possible, with a little hassle as possible. When you have handed him your GWL, you have just provided him with information he does not need, does not particularly want, but now he has to assimilate into the process. It's an extra step he does not need. You may as well hand him that 5th of whiskey you cracked, and that's in the floorboard of the back seat. He didn't asked about it, he doesn't want to know about it, he wants to do his job and get on with the day.

Now, I note that it seems that a lot of the posters here have a lot of experience getting stopped by the police and either handing over or not handing over their GWL. That's problem a topic for another thread. The only time I have had personal experience with the subject, the officer asked if I had any guns in the car, and I responded positively. He didn't even want to know where they were. He was polite, I was polite, and we both went about our day in a good frame of mind.

I don't carry around the prescriptions for the drugs I probably am driving under the influence of.

^^^This
Why not hand over your library card, voter registration card, gym membership card, hell- just hand the LEO your entire wallet and let him take whatever he feels like he needs to see.
I drive a lot, a couple of thousand miles a week, and haven't been pulled over in years. If I do get pulled over it's not because an officer or trooper thinks I might have a gun so he doesn't need to know. It's not about being disrespectful; if it was the law I would comply. But it's not the law.

I too had to carry the p38 can opener back to my truck at the hall county court house. My dad gave me his military opener and I had it on my key ring. The officer looked funny when I asked if I had to leave my metal ink pen in my truck also.

Come on people! If you don't know the law don't talk about it. July 1, 2017 new law in Georgia: Can law enforcement ask to see weapon carry license at any time? Officers may not detain an individual for the sole purpose of asking if they have a carry license or requesting to view it.
Yes, this has been established several times in this thread.

To those of you saying what's the big deal, just show your license, the legislature had good reason for adding
this to the law. Let's say you are OC, walking down the street and an officer asks to see your license. You comply,
being a good honest citizen and all, and after a few minutes you are back on your way. A couple blocks later, you
are approached by another officer who also asks to see your credentials. No problem, and a few minutes later you
continue down the street. Then another cop spies you and...well, you get the idea. How long before your frustration
gets to a boiling point? You were minding your own business, just walking along, and were repeatedly stopped for no
reason. Carrying a firearm is not in and of itself a crime, and should not be treated as such. Thank you to the General
Assembly for recognizing this potential problem and nipping it in the bud.

Has anyone else noticed the noticeably large number of people who have been members for a while but only have 2 or 3 posts showing up in this thread and saying the same thing ("what's the big deal, just show your license)???????? It's all a bit
image.png
If you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom