• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed Carry laws in Georgia...

Has anyone else noticed the noticeably large number of people who have been members for a while but only have 2 or 3 posts showing up in this thread and saying the same thing ("what's the big deal, just show your license)???????? It's all a bit
View attachment 1460578 If you ask me.
I thought it was just me.

I am going to research this however, thought I would ask you guys too :) ...

I was told by my firearms instructor that police were not allowed (by law) to ask you if you possessed a concealed weapons permit. He said he heard that, but was still unsure.

Does anyone in here have an idea? THANK YOU! ;)
A cop can say anything he wants to you, even lie. However, if YOU lie to a cop, you broke the law.
........Why would you pay upwards of $70 bucks for it and not show it to them?????Thats why you bought it on the first place....to validate concealed carry.....

........Why would you pay upwards of $70 bucks for it and not show it to them?????Thats why you bought it on the first place....to validate concealed carry.....
I paid money for my underwear too. Should I show that to the officer as well when I get pulled over?
I didn't pay $70 so I could carry a gun. That is already my constitutional right. I paid $70 so the state of Georgia could confirm that nothing in my past would disqualify me from exercising that right.

Thank YOU!! ;)

Dinky Dau would know.

It is true, we do not need to show permit when asked. I believe the idea with Ga Carry starting with pushing that law, is to then get legislation later that allows constitution carry. Their arguement then would be the law already states you do not have to show permit ,so now do away with the permit and go with constituion carry

Go into hiding. Sail everything you own on ODT for pennies on the dollar to fund your escape. Shave your head, grow body hair, put in colored contacts, head for the woodline.
By scavenging through dumpsters and committing petty theft you can survive off the scraps society leaves you. Spend your time working out in wilderness, honing your senses and survival skills in preparation for launching your counter-attack against the real offenders. Be sure to learn code writing and document your progress in a manner that won't be cracked for years to come. Train animals to serve you and convince those weaker than you to join your cause. Start building haggard a** simple melee weapon systems and reliable, yet primitive bludgeoning tools. Learn to recite the constitution on memory alone. Tattoo the Culpepper flag on your forehead and prepare for REVOLUTIONNNNN
WOLVERINES
View attachment 1446317

Only the finest advice on the ODT

Fixed this for you. SELL everything you own.:rolleyes:

Dinky Dau would know.

It is true, we do not need to show permit when asked. I believe the idea with Ga Carry starting with pushing that law, is to then get legislation later that allows constitution carry. Their arguement then would be the law already states you do not have to show permit ,so now do away with the permit and go with constituion carry

Marta police caused the law. They would stop everybody they saw with a firearm. Disarm and detain them while they ran a background check even when you showed what was at the time a ga firearms licence. That is why we now have a law preventing harassment of people who carry. Thank you Marta PD

Dinky Dau would know.

That is only half true. O.C.G.A. 16-11-137 (b) clearly states it's 100% true that a leo cannot stop and detain you simply because you are carrying a weapon to determine if you have a GWCL, and if asked by a leo absent probable cause/articulable reasonable suspicion you do not have to produce anything.

But, the same statute O.C.G.A. 16-11-137 (a) clearly states "Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon........and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable privision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2" "A violation of the applicable privision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2" is an arrestable offense(s) by the way. Why do you suppose that requirement exists?

If you are stopped/detained under probable cause or articulable reasonable suspicion and are found to be armed with a weapon, then a leo can, and with the exception of most misdemeanor traffic violations, probably will investigate the legality of your weapon possession. That investigation will begin with requiring you to produce your weapons carry license.

I suspect you already know that and this response is not directed at you in any way. I simply point out the much less quoted 16-11-137 (a) to prevent a fellow member making the mistake of "I don't have to show my permit to anybody" because of the usually quoted 16-11-137 (b).

That is only half true. O.C.G.A. 16-11-137 (b) clearly states it's 100% true that a leo cannot stop and detain you simply because you are carrying a weapon to determine if you have a GWCL, and if asked by a leo absent probable cause/articulable reasonable suspicion you do not have to produce anything.

But, the same statute O.C.G.A. 16-11-137 (a) clearly states "Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon........and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable privision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2" "A violation of the applicable privision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2" is an arrestable offense(s) by the way. Why do you suppose that requirement exists?

If you are stopped/detained under probable cause or articulable reasonable suspicion and are found to be armed with a weapon, then a leo can, and with the exception of most misdemeanor traffic violations, probably will investigate the legality of your weapon possession. That investigation will begin with requiring you to produce your weapons carry license.

I suspect you already know that and this response is not directed at you in any way. I simply point out the much less quoted 16-11-137 (a) to prevent a fellow member making the mistake of "I don't have to show my permit to anybody" because of the usually quoted 16-11-137 (b).

That is corrrect, Once an office has any other reason to stop you, IE: your public drunk, seen ruuning from a crime. someone calls the cops cause you and your wife are in a loud disagreement in the street, etc, Then that office can and may demand you GWCL. The just of the law is you can't be stopped or detained for the sole purpose of investigating if you have a valid GWCL, once you have been stopped for any other reason you must produce your GWCL if ask or face arrest.

Back
Top Bottom