• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed Carry laws in Georgia...

Someone help me out here. What's the legal difference between 'demands', (illegal), and 'asks', (apparently legal).

Is it if they try to detain you if you don't comply ?

Demand means you don't have a choice, you comply or go to jail, ask means you don't have to comply they can ask you for 1 million dollars if they want, it doen't mean you have to give it or risk arrest. if you are asking how to telll if your lic is being demanded or they are just asking,
Office: do you have a valid GWCL:
You: yes,
Officer: show it to me,
You why:
Office: so i can verify you have it,
You: stae law doent allow you do that.
If the office then demands your lic, ask that he call a supervisor and comply. you can always file suit and make a complaint with the department. Let me be clear, you cannot win by being a jerk to the officer , the officer always has the upper hand and even if the demand is unlawful you can object but not resist.

I know it makes some feel good to just comply bc they don't want to offend or go againt an officer.

We only have the fredom we stand up for. Any intrusion on that fredom or right is a right given up. What if an officer shows up at you house and says hey i want to search your house to make sure you don't have any stolen fireams or drugs? Are you going to comply just because? Most officers are good people some are not, just like any other profession you always get a few who want to take short cuts and half a#@ their job. You cant tell by looking. Harassing guy owners is not and should not be part of normal policing.

Most of the time, they ask more subtly. ..... Hey, there. You doing good. .... blah blah .... "just in case someone asks, you do have a license... right?".

I don't answer. I change the subject to the weather, sports, local events, are you here all the time, etc.

If he presses ... just say something like "the fourth amendment is one of our most treasured consitutional protections, don't you agree."

Most of the time, they ask more subtly. ..... Hey, there. You doing good. .... blah blah .... "just in case someone asks, you do have a license... right?".

I don't answer. I change the subject to the weather, sports, local events, are you here all the time, etc.

If he presses ... just say something like "the fourth amendment is one of our most treasured consitutional protections, don't you agree."

what is wrong with saying "yes, doen't everybody" He hasn't ask you to produce it. No different if he ask if you a have a car or a home or dogs or whatever.

As a side note, if you CC instead of OC this whole scenario can be avoided (why advertise)

In Alliekat's circumstance, sounds like she pulled her firearm (justified) and then the cops were called, at that point the officers had the legal authority to demand her GWCL, which she didnot have. Now hopefully she will pay her fine and get a GWCL. and a new firearms instructor.

No different if he ask if you a have a car or a home or dogs or whatever.

There is a huge difference. Generally, there is no crime against owning a home or dog. Those are questions friendly people ask each other.

There is a crime against carrying guns in public. When they ask you about your license, at that moment, they are investigating you for a potential crime, they aren't curious about what is in your wallet. When you are being investigated about a crime, the best route is shut your pie-hole.

I'm not anti-cop at all. They have been there when my family and I needed them. Cobb PD is awesome in my book. BUT .... I won't look good in an Orange Prison Jumpsuit.

There is a crime against carrying guns in public. .

If you don't have a GWCL, yes.
If you have a GWCL and are not in a prohibited area, no.

Let's sum up:
An LEO can ask anything, you don't have to answer.
AN LEO can't demand to see your GWCL just because he sees that you are carrying. He has to believe you have committed some crime besides just carrying a gun without a license.

There is a huge difference. Generally, there is no crime against owning a home or dog. Those are questions friendly people ask each other.

There is a crime against carrying guns in public. When they ask you about your license, at that moment, they are investigating you for a potential crime, they aren't curious about what is in your wallet. When you are being investigated about a crime, the best route is shut your pie-hole.

I'm not anti-cop at all. They have been there when my family and I needed them. Cobb PD is awesome in my book. BUT .... I won't look good in an Orange Prison Jumpsuit.

Dude please read the code before you tell us all what is legal. And what the officer is allowed to do
It is clearley stated in the code and is contrary to what you just posted.

I am going to research this however, thought I would ask you guys too :) ...

I was told by my firearms instructor that police were not allowed (by law) to ask you if you possessed a concealed weapons permit. He said he heard that, but was still unsure.

Does anyone in here have an idea? THANK YOU! ;)

You don't have to answer such questions. If you're pulled over, the officer is supposed to tell you why s/he pulled you over. The weapons permit has nothing to do with why you were pulled over. So, you should not have to answer the question. Seems to me, the officer would just cut to the chase and ask whether you have a firearm in the car.

Back
Top Bottom