• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concerning the 6.5 Creedmoor

GoNoGo, I don't understand your question or comment.

What's wrong with a company like Hornady coming out with premium factory ammo for the best possible accuracy for folks who are not handloaders?

Naturally, if you're going to be winning long range rifle matches, you're going to be handloading. Not only for economy but to tailor your round's cartridge case (amount of resizing) and length (bullet seating depth) to your rifle's chamber and barrel throat, PLUS you will want to tweak the powder charge to get the best barrel harmonics so the bullet leaves the muzzle at the right nanosecond. You're very unlikely to get that perfect barrel harmonics out of an off-the-shelf factory round, although if you try several loads, one of them may be pretty close to perfect.

Plenty of shooters want the newest and best cartridges out there, even if they aren't able to use those rounds to their full potential. That's why they may choose to buy an expensive rifle in the hottest new caliber, BUT never bother handloading for that rifle.

The article from Range365 dot com above talks about the distance at which various rounds "go subsonic."
The 6.5 Creed is very good in this respect, being supersonic to at least 1200 yards.
But how much does that matter?
I know that I've shot high velocity .22LR (CCI Mini Mags, Winchester Super-X power points) at 100 yards and got very good groups from rifles like a Winchester 52 and Ruger 77/22 with an accuracy job (bedding and trigger work).

These rifles have done .4 inch groups at 100 yards, too. So that's a distance where the bullet went subsonic long before striking the target. But accuracy remained good.

*** EDITED TO CLARIFY **** a high velocity 40-grain .22LR bullet fired from a rifle may in fact stay supersonic out to 50 yards or more, per the ballistics charts available at GunData.org.

Okay, I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor for a while now, but is it really that much better than the 308 Win shooting modern VLD bullets? The numbers don't seem to say so. I know it has less recoil, but I'm not recoil sensitive.

Okay, I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor for a while now, but is it really that much better than the 308 Win shooting modern VLD bullets? The numbers don't seem to say so. I know it has less recoil, but I'm not recoil sensitive.
Cost. I can beat a 308 ballisticlly with any 140 match bullet while the 308 pretty much has to run $1 solids. Then you mentioned recoil. In a scenario where you have to spot your own shots, it's easier with less recoil. For most practical purposes though the 308 is still a very valid option.

Im not sold on the creedmoor for hunting situations but for target shooting it beats the 308 hands down. Ive taken my creedmoor out to 1400 yards easy.

Back
Top Bottom