Consequences of Church Carry

Please do not misconstrue my intent; I would be among the first to say "their church, their rules." I am a big fan of private property rights.

However, I was pointing out that a presumably pro-gun person (my assumption) was basically making the argument made by anti-gunners. I was also pointing out that scripture seems to favor self defense.

And, for the record, I would never, ever, carry in a place that a group of people hundreds or thousands of miles from me said that I couldn't.
Yep, I`m pro-gun. Carry every day and everywhere I`m legal.

SUMMER 44 said:

"... according to the henry county district attorney that advised our church. who is a member of the administrative board...
He says the church either allows carry or does not allowed carry, the church can't pick and choose specific individuals.
... This is all according to the chief prosecutor in Henry County.

What can I say. I don't think he is correct. He doesn't have anything to back up his opinion (nor do I ).

So according to the DA, a church couldn't limit concealed carry to church members, and has to allow in any pistol packing member of the public who just shows up? Some Aryan nation dude rides up in his jacked up pickup truck, and the church has to let him carry in the church?

I'd like to see the DA put that opinion out in public pronouncement.

My opinion is that the law does not restrict the fundamental right of the landowner to create a more restrictive class of permit holder with permission to carry on the premises than "everyone".

I wonder if the DA has the same opinion about Joe's Bar down the street.
What can I say. I don't think he is correct. He doesn't have anything to back up his opinion (nor do I ).

So according to the DA, a church couldn't limit concealed carry to church members, and has to allow in any pistol packing member of the public who just shows up? Some Aryan nation dude rides up in his jacked up pickup truck, and the church has to let him carry in the church?

I'd like to see the DA put that opinion out in public pronouncement.

My opinion is that the law does not restrict the fundamental right of the landowner to create a more restrictive class of permit holder with permission to carry on the premises than "everyone".

I wonder if the DA has the same opinion about Joe's Bar down the street.

I've been an Assistant District Attorney, although I only prosected gun crimes when they went along with some other crime, a felony, as part of the same incident. The Solicitor's Office handles misdemeanor-only cases, at least in every county in which there is a Solicitor in addition to the D.A.

I think the D.A. in Henry County is correct AS TO THE APPLICATION of the "off-limits locations" gun control law, found at O.C.G.A. 16-11-127. If a church opts-in to allow some regular private citizens (who aren't on the 16-11-130 list of special government employees) to carry at the church, then ANY carry permit holder who knows about this decision by the church's leadership CAN legally take advantage of it. This person doesn't need the church's specific permission directed at him or her, and I don't think an announcement of "Nobody can carry at this church except members of our security team and the pastor and the deacons" will change that. Give one GWL holder permission to carry has the effect to TAKING THE CHURCH WEAPONS LAW OFF THE TABLE and making it non-applicable.

*** HOWEVER*** That doesn't mean that a church, as a private entity owning and controlling its own private property, has no legal method of dealing with unwanted armed citizens carrying on their property against their expressed wishes and policies. While no gun control law applies, the CRIMINAL TRESPASS LAW still would, I think.

CRIMINAL TRESPASS: 16-7-21
(b) A person commits the offense of criminal trespass when he or she knowingly ...remains upon the land or premises of another person ... after receiving notice ... to depart.

Now I believe that the "notice" requirement of 16-7-21 must be specific to one individual, and no signage or publicly-announced policy can give this notice to an entire class or group of people. But if you're in a church with a gun and that gun gets noticed and the pastor or some duly-authorized representative of the church tells you that you must leave the property, you MUST go, ASAP, without standing around to argue or tell them how "I know mah rights." You could get charged under the trespass law if you did.

...Paul writes, “So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves”
(1 Corinthians, chapter 11, verses 27–29).

Folks think I'm being heathen but this is what I was taught to believe. I know I'm far enough backslid that I have no business taking communion right now. If I git right with God, I'll do that again.

Once u accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior and are saved. That's it. U will still sin cause we aren't perfect. But you never need saving again. Jesus died for all our sins, past present and future. If you believe you need to be saved every time you sin then you need to get someone to kill you as soon as you are saved before you get the chance to sin again.

Once u accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior and are saved. That's it. U will still sin cause we aren't perfect. But you never need saving again. Jesus died for all our sins, past present and future. If you believe you need to be saved every time you sin then you need to get someone to kill you as soon as you are saved before you get the chance to sin again.
Not at all what I said. Wow.

Folks think I'm being heathen but this is what I was taught to believe. I know I'm far enough backslid that I have no business taking communion right now. If I git right with God, I'll do that again.

God doesn't take the clean, he takes the sinful and makes them clean. You are always welcome to God, no matter how bad you think you are.

So, my interpretation of what GA Gun Law Book said.

A church must allow carry for it to be legal for anyone.

If a church allows carry, it is open for everyone, however, they have the right to ask you to leave if they don't want you there carrying.

So, if the church allows carry, you cannot be prosecuted for carrying in a church if caught, only prosecuted if asked to leave and you do not.

So, a church's policy can be "We allow carry for select members. If you are caught carrying without permission, you may be asked to leave".

Rosewood

God doesn't take the clean, he takes the sinful and makes them clean. You are always welcome to God, no matter how bad you think you are.
I don't believe that you should take communion unless you are as close to God as you can get. That's just what I believe. I'm going to pretend to tell anyone else what to believe.

Back
Top Bottom