• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Consequences of Church Carry

The problem with this is that if someone carrying there got arrested for it, the church would either have to let them hang or lie about having given permission. Why don't they just give specific people permission and take it out of the grey area?

they can't give specific people permission the law isn't written to allow that, you either allow carry by everyone with a GWCL or you don't.

Sarcasm on:
Yes, this is a good law; only those of us with "law enforcement training" can carry, you cannot. It doesn't matter what training or skill set you possess, or that you have shot the Georgia law enforcement officer test and passed it easily. We know what's best, and only those approved by the governing body can carry arms.
Sarcasm off.

This is basically the standard mantra of gun controllers everywhere. Also the argument used against concealed carry: "But what if there's an active shooter, and you draw on him, then police could accidentally shoot you, or you may shoot another concealed carrying person. You should really just hide and call 911 and let the 'professionals' handle it." Sorry, not my plan. And, I don't think it's God's plan, either.

"and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36.

Or maybe Jesus should have said:

"and he that hath no sword, let him just sit tight; someone approved will protect him."
Since 1999 there have been over 1700 attacks on churches. 264 in 2018. Churches have the right to protect themselves. Their way, according to law. If you don`t like it, then don`t go to a church that won`t allow you to carry. There are many others that will allow you to carry. I know most of the scriptures that concern weapons carry. The point of this thread is to let folks know that they can`t carry in church without permission. Nobody wants to lose their license. The law is the law, just like school carry and some parts of the courthouse. BTW, my church got a court order to stop a person from coming to our church due to his behavior. Shortly thereafter he committed a workplace shooting that killed 4 people. I have no problem asking a pastor if I can carry in his church. Last week I attended two school functions on non-school property. Per the law I left my weapon in the truck. Yep, I felt nekkid. Look up GA Code. The law does allow for the pastor or governing body to give permission to individuals as they see fit. Not to all or none.

Since 1999 there have been over 1700 attacks on churches. 264 in 2018. Churches have the right to protect themselves. Their way, according to law. If you don`t like it, then don`t go to a church that won`t allow you to carry. There are many others that will allow you to carry. I know most of the scriptures that concern weapons carry. The point of this thread is to let folks know that they can`t carry in church without permission. Nobody wants to lose their license. The law is the law, just like school carry and some parts of the courthouse. BTW, my church got a court order to stop a person from coming to our church due to his behavior. Shortly thereafter he committed a workplace shooting that killed 4 people. I have no problem asking a pastor if I can carry in his church. Last week I attended two school functions on non-school property. Per the law I left my weapon in the truck. Yep, I felt nekkid. Look up GA Code. The law does allow for the pastor or governing body to give permission to individuals as they see fit. Not to all or none.

Please do not misconstrue my intent; I would be among the first to say "their church, their rules." I am a big fan of private property rights.

However, I was pointing out that a presumably pro-gun person (my assumption) was basically making the argument made by anti-gunners. I was also pointing out that scripture seems to favor self defense.

And, for the record, I would never, ever, carry in a place that a group of people hundreds or thousands of miles from me said that I couldn't.

they can't give specific people permission the law isn't written to allow that, you either allow carry by everyone with a GWCL or you don't.

The law specifically allows the landowner, or person in control, to determine who can have access, or stay on the property.

If a church wants to only allow sanctified GWL holders to carry, that is perfectly within its rights. Or any other classification it chooses.

The law specifically allows the landowner, or person in control, to determine who can have access, or stay on the property.

If a church wants to only allow sanctified GWL holders to carry, that is perfectly within its rights. Or any other classification it chooses.
That is Not correct according to the henry county district attorney that advised our church who is a member of the administrative board. He says the church either allows carry or does not allowed carry, the church can't pick and choose specific individuals. And the law does not allow for someone that does not hold a Georgia weapons carry license to carry on church grounds, unless they are exempt from the requirement to have a license. This is all according to the chief prosecutor in Henry County.

That is Not correct according to the henry county district attorney that advised our church who is a member of the administrative board. He says the church either allows carry or does not allowed carry, the church can't pick and choose specific individuals. And the law does not allow for someone that does not hold a Georgia weapons carry license to carry on church grounds, unless they are exempt from the requirement to have a license. This is all according to the chief prosecutor in Henry County.

A church could refrain from invoking the "criminal trespass" law, but if cops find out that somebody carried inside a CHURCH without the church having previously taken the affirmative definite step of granting ordinary GWL-holding citizens permission to carry on the property, there will be a different law violation. Not the trespass law, but a gun control law: 16-11-127.

AND....

Even if a "church" cannot pick and choose specific people to grant permission to, and if their attempt to do that it would be legally ineffective and the gates will be open to all weapons permit holders, *schools* don't work the same way.

And Perimeter Church in Johns Creek, GA is both a church and a private school. So, 16-11-127.1 applies too.

Carry everywhere no matter what.

**** the law, people's obsessions with special little words written on special little paper somewhere in some special little dome shaped building...

Do you realize you posted this in the "Law and Order" thread?
If you have such contempt for the law,
why are you here in a forum that's all about gun & weapons laws????

What can I say. I don't think he is correct. He doesn't have anything to back up his opinion (nor do I ).

So according to the DA, a church couldn't limit concealed carry to church members, and has to allow in any pistol packing member of the public who just shows up? Some Aryan nation dude rides up in his jacked up pickup truck, and the church has to let him carry in the church?

I'd like to see the DA put that opinion out in public pronouncement.

My opinion is that the law does not restrict the fundamental right of the landowner to create a more restrictive class of permit holder with permission to carry on the premises than "everyone".

I wonder if the DA has the same opinion about Joe's Bar down the street.

Back
Top Bottom