• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Considering my first tactical knife. What should I get? and other questions

I had a Microtech Ultratech for a while. It was fun and cool but just didn't seem practical to carry all the time. I carry a spyderco and an esse Izula. The little izula is tough as nails. I don't worry about damaging it like other knives I've carried in the past.

Yea thats been my thoughts in the past. Time to buy (then probably lose) a nice blade

I just cant make myself carry a high dollar knife. I'm in the low voltage electrical field and I would be stripping wire in a pinch and not even thinking about it.
I do have 2 Hen & Roosters in the safe but they have only seen a few trips when I had to dress up in a monkey suit

Zt 566. Well made,durable, very sharp right out of the box. $160. Buy from a reputable dealer. There are a ton of fakes and some of them look pretty good.

I just cant make myself carry a high dollar knife. I'm in the low voltage electrical field and I would be stripping wire in a pinch and not even thinking about it.
I do have 2 Hen & Roosters in the safe but they have only seen a few trips when I had to dress up in a monkey suit

I was like that for years. I'm a cabinet installer and knew I would be cutting drywall, caulk etc. The good thing about the ZT that I carry is that it is made to work. I hone it once a week on my windshield, no problems.

I carry a slim kershaw daily and have been considering coming off the hip for a nice tactical knife for EDC. My budget is around $300 but $200ish would be better.

I like a slim knife for edc that doesn't bulk up my pocket. I also like assisted open.

I know very little about quality knives so I have several questions

These microtechs look pretty awesome, do people actually carry them? I really like the ones with cool patterns on the handle. What model would you recommend for EDC?

I've heard benchmade and spiderco are nice as well? Should I look at others brands?

I know southern tactical blades is a great shop. Are there any other spots I should know about on the east side of ATL

Feel free to make any comments/suggestions you think are relevent

North of ATL off 400 is Martin's Coin and Firearms. They carry Microtech, ZT, Benchmade, and a couple other lines of knives also.

Some of the flippers that are out there these days are so smooth and they open about as quick as a assisted Kershaw.
I see a lot of people have mentioned ZT's. They are extremely well built knives and sharp as a you know what...

Now if your looking to get into a automatic.
Hands down Microtech make the absolute best OTF.
If you want automatic OTS. Microtech makes one Called the LUDT and its moderately priced. Kershaw also makes really nice OTS autos. It's the Launch Series. The more popular models are the Launch 1,2 or 3 available in a few different blade steels and color combos and they typically run around $99ish. The LUDT's are around $200-$220ish
This is great advice right here. I own a bunch of different brand knives and usually just get what strikes my fancy. My Benchmade Infidel is cool but BIG & EXPENSIVE, my Microtech Ultratech is very cool and badass at less than half the price of the Infidel and IMHO a better knife, my Kershaw Launch3 is super lightweight very slim and stupid sharp right outta the box and my favorite OTS auto. I find myself going back & forth between the Ultratech & the Kershaw Launch3 just depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll carry one of two Camillus CUDA's that I've had for 20 plus years but that particular knife is no longer made, there's still some out there but not the same quality as this one, mine is extremely tough and very sharp. I'll also carry an ESEE Izula II in a custom kydex sheath small of the back as a backup blade, also extremely tough and easy to sharpen. @DEVEST8R is "Da Man" if you go with MT, Kershaw or ZT. Speaking of ZT, my next blade will be a ZT (Zero Tolerance) and I know from advice from several other members here that I know I will not be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom