• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Considering my first tactical knife. What should I get? and other questions

Consider a small fixed blade? The CR Professional Soldier is a great, slim knife that fits easily in a pocket.

I'm still not sure why the hell I've gotten rid of the two I owned....more than likely, I'll buy a third soon.

This is great advice right here. I own a bunch of different brand knives and usually just get what strikes my fancy. My Benchmade Infidel is cool but BIG & EXPENSIVE, my Microtech Ultratech is very cool and badass at less than half the price of the Infidel and IMHO a better knife, my Kershaw Launch3 is super lightweight very slim and stupid sharp right outta the box and my favorite OTS auto. I find myself going back & forth between the Ultratech & the Kershaw Launch3 just depending on my mood. Sometimes I'll carry one of two Camillus CUDA's that I've had for 20 plus years but that particular knife is no longer made, there's still some out there but not the same quality as this one, mine is extremely tough and very sharp. I'll also carry an ESEE Izula II in a custom kydex sheath small of the back as a backup blade, also extremely tough and easy to sharpen. @DEVEST8R is "Da Man" if you go with MT, Kershaw or ZT. Speaking of ZT, my next blade will be a ZT (Zero Tolerance) and I know from advice from several other members here that I know I will not be disappointed.

As someone who owns way more Benchmades than anything else, Microtech's OTF design and structure is far superior to Benchmades OTF design on the Pagan and Infidel. What I am not sure of is how the new Benchmade 4700 series OTF compares to Microtech....I think this is just a re-badged HK series OTF Benchmade has been producing for awhile.

I like ZT also....but being lefthanded their lock system interferes with me releasing the blade.

I rotate my stuff and it really just depends on your needs and what you like. I have a few Spydercos. My Para 2 and Manix 2 are very good durable folders that are in rotation.

I also have a few MTs. I bought 2 of them from @DEVEST8R. My Combat Troodon is always on me and is a very capable fighting knife. My Ultratech is smaller and is just a cool EDC knife that I've been carrying daily also. MT has a really solid warranty and will sharpen you knife if you just send it in. I use them if needed and don't bat an eye. They can be sharpened if needed just like any other knife.

I've never owned a ZT but have heard nothing but good things.

IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG

I totally forgot to add this to my post but the one major disadvantage of the OTF is IF you had to deploy your knife silently but quickly it would be hard to do. The MTs lock up solid but you hear it.

View attachment 1024112

Dogtown Darren Dogtown Darren mentioned the ZT 770, so I looked it up and found this on Blade hq. This is a good price for a ZT, with free shipping, so I couldn't resist and ordered one.

The version I have is the CF (carbon fiber handles) model, but I'm sure they are very similar. I really like the blade shape. It's a little unique (in a good way), and I find the shape very useful.

This knife shines when you have one hand occupied but need to cut something. I was putting corn into a feeder, I'd grab the top of the bag, the open assist is a one hand operation, then cut the bags open. Things like that.

Once you get used to an assisted opening knife, it's hard to go back to a traditional folder.

The version I have is the CF (carbon fiber handles) model, but I'm sure they are very similar. I really like the blade shape. It's a little unique (in a good way), and I find the shape very useful.

This knife shines when you have one hand occupied but need to cut something. I was putting corn into a feeder, I'd grab the top of the bag, the open assist is a one hand operation, then cut the bags open. Things like that.

Once you get used to an assisted opening knife, it's hard to go back to a traditional folder.

20170105_210705.jpg

I like my ZT's. The big one, 350, is the one I carry most of the time
Its my workhorse. It gets abused pretty much daily.

I cut boxes with mine.... I have 0 intentions of getting into a knife fight when I have 17rds of 9mm in my pants, LOL

I think we can all agree that a knife in a gun fight is not the way to go but with that mentality you might as well just say why shoot them when I can just run them over with my truck.

Back
Top Bottom