• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote rifle suggestions

akitaems

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
68   0
Reaction score
What rifle/caliber would you suggest for use with a NV scope for coyotes? Longest shots should only be approx 120-150 yards.

.223/5.56 or the ultimate in varmint control the 22-250. Petersons Hunting mag presented this 3,700 fps. round as the best predator cartridge made. 550 ft. lbs of energy at 500 yards where the .223 only comes it at 405 with a 24 inch barrel. A nice bolt action in this caliber would be the end all coyote blaster.

Does the "NIGHT VISION" aspect of this question mean anything?
How long is the barrel on that rifle you're thinking of using?
Muzzle flash is a concern when using night vision scopes, right?

I'm thinking that a round based on the .223 case, but necked-up to take a larger bullet in the 6.5mm range, would be best for 100-150 yard shots on coyotes with minimum muzzle flash.

The larger bore diameter (6.5 mm vs. 5.6 mm) means more opportunity for the powder to burn before the bullet pops out of the barrel.

That being said, I think a .223 would be fine if the barrel were normal length (20") OR if a shorter barrel were used in conjunction with a good flash hider. Not a standard M16 bird cage, but a bigger unit. Something maybe 3" long or so, possibly up to a 6" long fake suppressor (they work great for hiding muzzle flash, even if they don't quiet the gun).

I've got a buddy that hunts them and swears buy the 6.8 spc, but I've never used this round. My brother and I used to hunt them all the time and we just used AR's. I think the NV aspect that GAgunLAWbooklet GAgunLAWbooklet brought up would depend on your setup. What kind of NV will you be running? Suppressor? That would obviously take care of the flash problem.

Back
Top Bottom