• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coyote rifle suggestions

We just barrow whatever a buddy of mine will allow me to shoot, even get him to give the ammo also, keeps the cost down on guns and ammo.

'HE SAYS WE HAVE THE HABIT, AND HE'S GOT THE EXPENSE".

Told him it just gives me an opportunity to check out many different guns, and different calibers.

He says sure was taking me along time getting to being "a motivated buyer".

NAW, just need to do thorough research...

I must be a covert bastard because I have killed several coyotes inside 50 yards while hunting on the ground in the daytime. I've had them bed down literally 20 yards from me. They are smart, but it is easy to get within 50 yards or less from a coyote. At least it always has been for me. I killed one with a bow when I was 18-19 years old. The last one I killed was 10 yards with a .270 while I was sitting on the ground. All of of them were killed while I was deer hunting.

I missed one a couple months ago at maybe 80 yards. It was running and it was at night, but I shouldn't have missed.
Well I think now since the population has increased so dramatically that competition for food has dramatically increased causing them to be a little less cautious went seeking it out. I think now they would be taking more chances and letting their guard down a lot. It's was damn near impossible to get less than a 100 yards on one in Oklahoma because the numbers had decreased so dramatically after a long bounty had been put on them for a number of years and they could afford to be very hesitant to approach calls and moving decoys. If you are up wind and your hide is a good one you can get closer now more than ever. Now that's just a guess but it sounds logical. I wouldn't doubt it.

Well I think now since the population has increased so dramatically that competition for food has dramatically increased causing them to be a little less cautious went seeking it out. I think now they would be taking more chances and letting their guard down a lot. It's was damn near impossible to get less than a 100 yards on one in Oklahoma because the numbers had decreased so dramatically after a long bounty had been put on them for a number of years and they could afford to be very hesitant to approach calls and moving decoys. If you are up wind and your hide is a good one you can get closer now more than ever. Now that's just a guess but it sounds logical. I wouldn't doubt it.

Oklahoma is definitely different, and I can see how it would be more difficult to get close to coyotes out there. I've been killing them here in Douglasville for 25 years, and most guys I've hunted with have taken them too. Almost all of them were in the hardwoods. They have become more populated over the years. Either that or they are seen with more frequency because of suburban development and rising human populations in places that were once considered rural.

Oklahoma is definitely different, and I can see how it would be more difficult to get close to coyotes out there. I've been killing them here in Douglasville for 25 years, and most guys I've hunted with have taken them too. Almost all of them were in the hardwoods. They have become more populated over the years. Either that or they are seen with more frequency because of suburban development and rising human populations in places that were once considered rural.
That's completely understandable.

The OP said "longest shot 120 or 150 yards."
So that's the question.
Any centerfire varmint-caliber rifle with a scope, even a low-power one, should work.
Even a "not very accurate" one that shoots 3 minute-of-angle will still kill a coyote at 150 yards.
That being said, I probably wouldn't buy a new rifle just for this purpose.
If I had to buy a new varmint rifle, I'd make it suitable for 300 yard shots, in case that need arose in the future.
The .223 should be just fine for this application. And it can serve double-duty as a range toy for shooting small groups out to 400 yards or so, training newbies in the art of rifle marksmanship, or even, with the right bullets, bagging big game like deer.

Back
Top Bottom