• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Crossed Plug Wires????

Just checked and all plugs are in correct firing order. It actually sounded a lot better today then it did last night. I fiddled with the timing last night by ear and it calmed down a bit. The belt tensioner was not the cause of the noise......I have a sneaking suspicion that it's the dust cover on the crank pulley. I bent it a little bit with a screwdriver when I locked the crank pulley to torque it on and I think it's scraping. It doesn't sound mechanical, it sounds a little tinny and like a scraping sound. I have to get down there and look now. I do need a washer(s) for my fuel line banjo bolt because it's leaking now that I took it off. First time off since 94 most likely.

Was the timing the problem?

Not really I don't think. I set the idle back a little by ear (no tach on dash)it was high because of loose timing components (prior to repair). I also fiddled with the timing and distributor a little. I scratched a witness mark on the metal distributor body so I had a reference point to go off of. Buddy at work has a timing light that I'm gonna shoot it in with for good. I have a valve tap now.....

I adjusted everything (lash for exhaust and intake) to spec, but the 22RE has no valve cover torques specs. I think the valve cover is sitting too low and it is being tapped by my rear lifters. I am gonna pull the valve cover in a bit and start at zero and start tightening down from there. From what I read folks say this is a common thing with the 22RE. They also say to start at zero and start snugging until no oil leaks, but not too far that it taps. I think I just wrenched it down a bit too much. Running pretty good though. It has 263K on the clock and if I can get another 100K or more out of it I'll be happy.

I checked the valve cover out and started at zero and then snugged it down. The 22RE is a pretty loud engine. Most folks say just to deal with the little rattle and live with it. I have read to get the engine up to temp and check all the valve lash then. These were adjusted cold and I have heard this gives a false "read" on the feeler gauge. For now it sounds like a baby diesel. I'll get it all hot and then pull the cover and check it again. Otherwise running like it should.

These were adjusted cold and I have heard this gives a false "read" on the feeler gauge. For now it sounds like a baby diesel. I'll get it all hot and then pull the cover and check it again. Otherwise running like it should.

Unusual to set the clearance 'hot', but the manual will give the right answer. If you set factory clearance 'hot' then it'll generally be even louder cold, depending on the valvetrain configuration.

Back
Top Bottom