• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Custom Ear Plugs for Shooting and Hunting: audiologist; plugs themselves

I had 3 pair made. 2 made by audiologist and one made by Prem Ear. I lost the 2 from the audiologist and went with Prem Ear since they are cheaper. It's true you get what you pay for. The Prem Ear can't compare to the ones from audiologist. I regret not spending the extra money and getting the third set made from an audiologist. I hate the Prem Ear ones. Sounds travels thru the cord straight to your ears! I talked to other people about this problem and it very common with Prem Ears. You have to tuck the cord under your hat or everytime you turn your head and the cord rubs your shirt or color the sounds transfers straight to your ears. This does NOT happen with the ones made from an audiologist.

F2500F25-5187-4FAD-99FB-59BC0151E096.jpeg

UPDATE: I went to a Licensed Audiologist today, located in Vinings/Atlanta 30339. Consult took under an hour, and she made the ear impressions.

The consult and molds were to be $70. I planned to take them and ship to E.A.R. Inc., along with my BTEs, and have it all fitted to custom Chameleon Ears. The CE are a step up from the Insta-Molds. Solid CEs are $110, as listed at E.A.R. website (same as Insta-Molds, according to my phone call with them).

Instead, I chose to go with the product she sells - solid custom earplugs. These will have an elbow inserted (no extra fee), that will then be fit to my behind-the-ear electronic plugs (SMH I from E.A.R. Inc.). I use the BTEs when hunting or shooting for a prolonged period of time, and don't want to insert/remove/reinsert/remove etc. hearing protection. I use them with a foam insert (Comply Tips), which is perfectly fine.

The new pair will be made by Westone, who are the top of the line, and reputed to be the "expensive" company, in two swirled colors (three colors are included in price).

Paid $120.82 out the door, her office ships the molds, they ship the plugs to my address, and can come back for her to trim/fit the tubing.

They come with a 30-day guarantee, or she will make/mail another impression.

Solid Westone plugs were listed with her at $115 - I thought I would have to pay for plugs + impression.

Overall, it looks as I will have spent LESS than I would have planned, on a product made for shooting sports.

BTW, I told her I use the Howard Leight muffs, and she approved - said that company maintains good technology & manufacturing, and is a good product.

I have read everything on the forum available.

I will be needing to replace my Insta-mold filtered pair from E.A.R. Inc after years of satisfied use. While I am leaning towards their products again, I'm wondering if someone has relevant experiences, good or bad, on what they have done for custom plugs.

I use electronic muffs (Howard Leight) that work fine, but prefer plug-type protection when shotgunning. I add the muffs when at an indoor range.

Recommendations for an audiologist that will make a ear impression will be most welcome.

Thanks

UPDATE: I went to a Licensed Audiologist today, located in Vinings/Atlanta 30339. Consult took under an hour, and she made the ear impressions.

The consult and molds were to be $70. I planned to take them and ship to E.A.R. Inc., along with my BTEs, and have it all fitted to custom Chameleon Ears. The CE are a step up from the Insta-Molds. Solid CEs are $110, as listed at E.A.R. website (same as Insta-Molds, according to my phone call with them).

Instead, I chose to go with the product she sells - solid custom earplugs. These will have an elbow inserted (no extra fee), that will then be fit to my behind-the-ear electronic plugs (SMH I from E.A.R. Inc.). I use the BTEs when hunting or shooting for a prolonged period of time, and don't want to insert/remove/reinsert/remove etc. hearing protection. I use them with a foam insert (Comply Tips), which is perfectly fine.

The new pair will be made by Westone, who are the top of the line, and reputed to be the "expensive" company, in two swirled colors (three colors are included in price).

Paid $120.82 out the door, her office ships the molds, they ship the plugs to my address, and can come back for her to trim/fit the tubing.

They come with a 30-day guarantee, or she will make/mail another impression.

Solid Westone plugs were listed with her at $115 - I thought I would have to pay for plugs + impression.

Overall, it looks as I will have spent LESS than I would have planned, on a product made for shooting sports.

BTW, I told her I use the Howard Leight muffs, and she approved - said that company maintains good technology & manufacturing, and is a good product.

From what little I know about current pricing, that sounds like a very good deal.

Made my own. The putty all the ear places use is just polyvinyl siloxane (dental impression material).

Have your dentist put some in your ear when your there next time. $5 worth of material

With all due respect, the ones molded in with an injector provide much better protection than the ones put in with a putty knife.

I may be wrong, but I don't think dentists use an injector, if they do, then I apologize.

This is funny. You don't know why, but this is funny

Back
Top Bottom