• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cut My Tumbling Time in Half

This is what they look like after washing on the drying table
002.JPG

I have a harbor freight dual drum tumbler and cleaned over 15,000 pcs of brass with it so far. Got if for $40. I tumble for an hour then dry. I can do about 250pc 9mm in one session. Lots of good info, I like those SS chips might have to get some.

I am new to the reloading and just tumle my brass with corn cob media. Is wet tumbling better? Really needed? I only load pistol rounds now. Thx and great thread to read.

I am new to the reloading and just tumle my brass with corn cob media. Is wet tumbling better? Really needed? I only load pistol rounds now. Thx and great thread to read.

IMHO yes wet is faster, better and cheaper. The SS media last forever and is basically a one buy. I can tumble in SS media and dry faster and get cleaner brass than I could with cobb or walnut shell media. It's not needed if cobb media has worked for you and you are happy with it stay with it.

in my opinion it depends on how much brass that you have on hand and IF you wait until you have hundreds or thousands of dirty brass cases to do at one time.
its not sensible to wet tumble say 100 cases in my opinion.
I find it easy and more convenient to do smaller batches of say 300-400-500 cases at a time for a couple of hours in the dry media tumbler, then separate and store in coffee cans.
now I have many, many hundreds or even possibly a thousand cases in almost every caliber I reload.
in my way I always have clean brass ready to reload.
no pins to seperate, no drying to do,
I find my brass just as clean as friends that use the wet system.
brass being clean past a certain point is only for show anyway.
it just depends on what system you like best.

in my opinion it depends on how much brass that you have on hand and IF you wait until you have hundreds or thousands of dirty brass cases to do at one time.
its not sensible to wet tumble say 100 cases in my opinion.
I find it easy and more convenient to do smaller batches of say 300-400-500 cases at a time for a couple of hours in the dry media tumbler, then separate and store in coffee cans.
now I have many, many hundreds or even possibly a thousand cases in almost every caliber I reload.
in my way I always have clean brass ready to reload.
no pins to seperate, no drying to do,
I find my brass just as clean as friends that use the wet system.
brass being clean past a certain point is only for show anyway.
it just depends on what system you like best.

More than one way to get it done. If it works for you and your happy thats what matters.

Question for wet tumblers -

When I was a kid building engines for weekend destruction, I used to clean greasy engines by wetting them down, sprinkling Tide laundry detergent on them, letting them set for a couple of hours and then re-hosing them. The Tide cut through tough engine grease like it was butter.

Question - has anyone used laundry detergent, like Tide, to either tumble with or pre-soak with? What type of results did you notice?

Thanks -

Bayou

Back
Top Bottom