• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CWP Question?

rshores84

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
17   0
Reaction score
If you receive you carry permit and then purchase a pistol off of here or any other FTF transaction, do you then have to register that pistol in your county?

I'm new to the carry laws, so don't beat me up.

If you receive you carry permit and then purchase a pistol off of here or any other FTF transaction, do you then have to register that pistol in your county?

I'm new to the carry laws, so don't beat me up.

No gun registration here in GA whether you have a GWL (GFL) or not...

FWIW, Georgia doesn't (and never has) had a "CWP" (Concealed weapons permit). The state has never required concealment, nor has it had a seperate "CWP"; how you carry is up to you. In fact, if memory serves correctly, it was actually illegal to conceal your handgun up until the mid 70's. I am not beating you up, and no disrespect is intended here; however, it is an important detail to those whom carry. It's currently called the Georgia Weapons Carry Permit, AKA "GWL", formerly Gorgia Firearms License,"GFL", and LOOOONG before that was a Pistol Toters License; that was part old that "Jim Crow thing" though ;)

Fabricator

FWIW, Georgia doesn't (and never has) had a "CWP" (Concealed weapons permit). The state has never required concealment, nor has it had a seperate "CWP"; how you carry is up to you. In fact, if memory serves correctly, it was actually illegal to conceal your handgun up until the mid 70's. I am not beating you up, and no disrespect is intended here; however, it is an important detail to those whom carry. It's currently called the Georgia Weapons Carry Permit, AKA "GWL", formerly Gorgia Firearms License,"GFL", and LOOOONG before that was a Pistol Toters License; that was part old that "Jim Crow thing" though ;)

Fabricator

Registration of Firearms

Georgia does not require the registration of firearms owned by citizens. Georgia law actually prohibits local city/county governments from registering firearms when applying for a firearms license. However dangerous weapons (as described above) must be registered in compliance with the National Firearm Act (NFA) of 1934 and Federal Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 (information on how to register an NFA firearm is beyond the scope of this document).

Carrying Weapons

Short Version
Basically, to carry a long gun you do not have to have a license to carry as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm. To carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (other than on your property or inside your home, car, or your place of business), you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. To carry a knife designed for offense with a blade over 5 inches you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.

Back
Top Bottom