• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dads wisdom...

My dad is 73 and was my best man at my wedding in 1997.
His wisdom:
“Use the right tool for the right job”

“Yes dear” your wife to death and you can get anything you want”

When I was a wild teenager he told me if I want to play, I’m gonna pay. (If I get someone pregnant or dabble in drugs)

“Shaking a man’s hand is a deal written in blood in my opinion”

“Always follow through with a promise”

BD got me thinking, I know some of you guys are without your Dad, and I'm sorry for you. I still have mine(81) and still get to spend time with him often. My dad is a bigger smart ass than I am, and has rattled off some unfriendly words of wisdom at times...What are some things your Dad has said that stuck with you? My Dad once said to me "Boy, if I could buy you for what you're actually worth, and sell you for what you think you're worth, I could retire now".....
”it’s a good thing you’re a hard worker, you don’t have anything else going for you”. Dad did not worry about our self esteem.
I painted his house, for free of course. “Well, it looks pretty good from the road”.
he passed away on Labor Day 2020. I miss him every day. When my sister told him the day before his before his death, “i‘ll see you tomorrow, he responded, “I sure hope not”
he wanted to die peacefully in his sleep and did that night.
I asked him what he wanted done for a funeral, as Covid restrictions were making big funerals difficult. He said” do whatever you think best, I’m not going to be there anyway “.

He was hardest working man I’ve ever known. Said “There ain’t a nickels difference in a man that works hard all his life and a man who does nothing. And the man who does nothing has the nickel.“
Never more true in this entitled society.

My dad is the smartest man I've ever met, despite dropping out of HS and lying about his age to join the Navy. He can do a Sunday New York Times crossword by filling out all the answers horizontally, without even checking his answers vertically.

Some of his wisdom: "How a man does one thing, is how a man does everything".
"The only ass you should work for, is yourself".
"Never do a crossword in pencil. It shows a lack of confidence in your answers".

He is still with us, and at 79, he is sharp as a tack and a profound wealth of information. I embrace every conversation with him.

“Off your a$$ and on your feet boy!”
Every mornings wake up call

if something looks off or awful
“That looks like Fido’s a$$”
Or
“That thing looks like it was shot at and missed but shyt it and hit”
Shot at and missed…..one of my dads favorites… and “that thing looks like the south end of a northbound jackass”…

Back
Top Bottom