• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice / wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the sponsors on ODT has a great setup if you don’t mind turning wrenches on heavy equipment. A trade that’ll be here for many more moons to come.

edit: Yancey Bros. Cat
I definitely wouldn't mind it, I like to turn wrenches on my motorcycle so it would just be on a larger scale :) just unsure about where / how to get trained, I certainly don't want to invest alot of money into a trade school or something if I don't have a guranteed job afterwards

I definitely wouldn't mind it, I like to turn wrenches on my motorcycle so it would just be on a larger scale :) just unsure about where / how to get trained, I certainly don't want to invest alot of money into a trade school or something if I don't have a guranteed job afterwards
Yancey trains you, furnishes you tools and a guaranteed position for the company once trained. From what I’ve read in their posts, you own the tools at the end of an apprentice term.

If you are interested in learning how to do collision repair I could probably help you get a job at any body shop in Metro Atlanta. There is a huge shortage of people that can do body work right now and skilled techs can make up to 100k. If you have a good work ethic and are reliable most shops would be willing to train you.

Cobb water authority would a good thought. Its more interesting than one might think. @D_Max might be able to elaborate on the water system.
The City of Cartersville is begging for police officers, no experience required.
Any county/city water control/treatment department.

DNR- might not meet the initial income goals, but has all the benefits. DNR includes environmental regulation in Georgia.

Technical school - all sorts of scholarship/grants for technical degrees. One local company will pay your schooling to become a certified welder. Many of the large medical practices will do the same for various para positions. Check with the local school to see what is available.

As noted, teaching - but without certification you will probably have to teach in an urban system, There are programs where you can get certified while you teach. STEM is hot, hot, hot right now, and you have the S

I could use another hand here at the ranch. Gotta be able to get up early, exist on Copenhagen and Nattie light, have a high tolerance of ignorant cattle, bucking horses and mongrel half feral dogs. Welding, fencing and mechanic abilities are a plus. One thing about whatever decision you make is that you have same rights as any other married man to starve a woman and kids to death just as the rest of us.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

If I had a biologist degree I would be looking at jobs with the Federal Govt, (US Forest service, National Park Service, BLM etc). Pay is decent, benefits are decent, retirement is not bad, job security is pretty good, you may have to relocate.

An old Army buddy got his degree in biology after he got out, and has worked for the BLM in Montana/Wyoming and New Mexico for years. He has a nice life, and his work is awesome of you like riding around on the back roads with someone else's truck all day. He has had some pretty awesome assignments from hiking into the most remote areas of the country to take water samples, to doing buffalo surveys off of snowmobiles in Yellowstone. Last I heard he was working on some kind of compliance for oil rigs on BLM lands.

I asked him what that meant as far as day to day and he said it basically meant that he drove the backroads all day and made sure no one had an oil spill, rigs are about 2 hrs or more apart so he does compliance a couple of hours a day, and scouts fishing and hunting spots in between...lol

Use that degree....

Reactions: GFB
If I had a biologist degree I would be looking at jobs with the Federal Govt, (US Forest service, National Park Service, BLM etc). Pay is decent, benefits are decent, retirement is not bad, job security is pretty good, you may have to relocate.

An old Army buddy got his degree in biology after he got out, and has worked for the BLM in Montana/Wyoming and New Mexico for years. He has a nice life, and his work is awesome of you like riding around on the back roads with someone else's truck all day. He has had some pretty awesome assignments from hiking into the most remote areas of the country to take water samples, to doing buffalo surveys off of snowmobiles in Yellowstone. Last I heard he was working on some kind of compliance for oil rigs on BLM lands.

I asked him what that meant as far as day to day and he said it basically meant that he drove the backroads all day and made sure no one had an oil spill, rigs are about 2 hrs or more apart so he does compliance a couple of hours a day, and scouts fishing and hunting spots in between...lol

Use that degree....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom