• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Damn expensive hobbies!

Y’all don’t know how easy it is to spend money on aircraft. My little bird sips gas at 5.7 gallons an hour, $6.00 a gallon I get off cheap!

Next month I’m upgrading the instrument panel. Believe me when I say I’m going cheap at 30k worth of stuff. I’m am aircraft mechanic, so legally I can sign off my own work. Most pilots have to pay north of $50 an hour for a mechanic and more for avionics View attachment 6776802
The hobby just got more expensive. I am upgrading the instrument panel to IFR. Garmin GI 275’s, attitude indicator & HSI, GMA 345 audio panel, GNC 355 GPS/comm, GNC 215 NAV/com.

More $$$ than I paid to get the aircraft…

The hobby just got more expensive. I am upgrading the instrument panel to IFR. Garmin GI 275’s, attitude indicator & HSI, GMA 345 audio panel, GNC 355 GPS/comm, GNC 215 NAV/com.

More $$$ than I paid to get the aircraft…
My Grandad was a doctor, and a pilot as a hobby. He had at least 10 different planes throughout his “career”…I remember him taking us off across his back field and flying us all around, then landing in the same back field... I never caught his fever for flying, but my uncle did, and had some super nice planes. One was a show plane, and he called it his “fair weather plane”, because he would not get it out unless it was fair weather, or better.

I know dick about planes. I like being on the ground. That’s why I spent more time learning about excavators, bulldozers, etc., another of my grandad’s hobbies. I don’t know much about them either, other than operating them.

I like to see guys nerd out with their hobbies. Their enthusiasm always makes the subject more interesting. Happy flying!

In addition to guns/ammo, I collect "action figures" and such... Currently, I am on a Funko Pop kick (bobble heads). Some of the autographed ones can be quite expensive. I used to customize my rides; but now I have 2 2003 Fords (Expedition and F250) so I guess I'm out of the cars game...
ETA: all the ones below are autographed
Nice. I recently found the Starwars Stormtrooper (598) for my Starwars Darth Vader (597).

Vintage audio from the 70's and earlier can be an expensive hobby.
This is my modest 70's era system... I have no intentions of collecting more gear.

vintage.JPG

Vintage audio from the 70's and earlier can be an expensive hobby.
This is my modest 70's era system... I have no intentions of collecting more gear.

View attachment 7090881
I purchased the complete top of the line 1976 system from Radio Shack [Realistic] including receiver, direct drive turntable, Mach 1 speakers, dual cassette player and reel to reel tape. Still have and enjoy it in like new condition. Have many many vinyls in 33 and 45 rpm to keep it company, along with cassette tapes and reel to reel tape creations. Thanks.

I took up golf 15yrs ago and I dont even want to begin to think about the thousands of dollars Ive sunk into that obsession but Ive enjoyed it. Had lots of laughs and been on some beautiful courses. Made some new friends and learned some new curse words. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

I purchased the complet top of the line 1976 system from Radio Shack [Realistic] including receiver, direct drive turntable, Mach 1 speakers, dual cassette player and reel to reel tape. Still have and enjoy it in like new condition. Have many many vinyls in 33 and 45 rpm to keep it company, along with cassette tapes and reel to reel tape creations. Thanks.
I didn't have a working system, but I did have the Marantz receiver that I inherited from my father - he bought it new in '77. I picked up the 70's turntable at a yard sale a few years ago, and I had both pieces cleaned and serviced last year. I picked up the 70's era loud speakers on Easter Sunday and they completed my 70's audio system that my dad would appreciate.

Back
Top Bottom