• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dawson Forest nuclear reactor site.

Hasn't been a way in there since the late 70's. Everytime someone would access it they would build the pile higher. There's about a 3' x 3' air shaft in the middle of the last clearing on the left on Reservoir Road. Where it goes and how far it goes down before you hit water I don't know. You would have to rappel down. It's only interesting to me because it's a long ways from what was the entrance. If you were able to access the insides from there you would be very deep inside. Where you could go because of the water table is unknown to me.

I'm too old for that kind of adventure so I just leave it be.....

I hadn't heard that about vehicles being in there, but I could believe it.
It must be a huge area.

From the air vent that I know of up on Reservoir road, to the the old entrance at the foot of River road is a long, long ways. Maybe not a mile, but at least a half mile.
There's no sign of any other structure that I've found between those 2 areas.
Must have been a helluva facility.....

I can't find "Reservoir Road" or "River Road" on maps. Do they have any other names?

I can't find "Reservoir Road" or "River Road" on maps. Do they have any other names?

No those are the names of those two roads.
They are not difficult to identify.

Both are on the right when you enter the south gate of the City of Atlanta tract off of Dawson Forest road.
The first road is to the horse camp, what used to be the parking lot.
The next real dirt road on your right is Reservoir Road and the one at the very end is River Road.

If you still can't fine Reservoir Road try this;

Drive to the dead end that's River Road gated and on your right and it dead ends into the Etowah.
Drive back towards the front gate (known as the south gate) the next dirt road on your left is Reservoir road which also dead ends into the Etowah.
Almost at the end of Reservoir road on the left is a wildlife opening, it is just before a small parking area on the right.
If you look into the field you'll notice one section with brush and trees around it.
If you go in there you'll see the large air shaft. It's a nice walk!

I've spent many a night on that property and it isn't haunted!
Mostly. :becky:

No those are the names of those two roads.
They are not difficult to identify.

Both are on the right when you enter the south gate of the City of Atlanta tract off of Dawson Forest road.
The first road is to the horse camp, what used to be the parking lot.
The next real dirt road on your right is Reservoir Road and the one at the very end is River Road.

If you still can't fine Reservoir Road try this;

Drive to the dead end that's River Road gated and on your right and it dead ends into the Etowah.
Drive back towards the front gate (known as the south gate) the next dirt road on your left is Reservoir road which also dead ends into the Etowah.
Almost at the end of Reservoir road on the left is a wildlife opening, it is just before a small parking area on the right.
If you look into the field you'll notice one section with brush and trees around it.
If you go in there you'll see the large air shaft. It's a nice walk!

I've spent many a night on that property and it isn't haunted!
Mostly. :becky:

So at the culdesac at the very end of Dawson forest road? My GPS calls that Clark Road. There is a gate to the left (on the GPS it leads to what looks like a large open field) and also a bigger gate to the right which my GPS is calling "blue trail," a horse trail If I'm not mistaken, the structure at the culdesac at the very end of Dawson forest road/Clark Road is a structure that goes several stories underground. I know where the horse camp is, it's where the fenced in hot cell building is.

About half a mile or a mile down "blue trail" I see a small clearing in the woods and another structure that has a square in the middle of it that looks like it could be this shaft. There are a couple cars on the satellite map parked on the trail near the small clearing. Maybe this is it?

It's definitely at least a little haunted haha one of my friends saw something..

So at the culdesac at the very end of Dawson forest road? My GPS calls that Clark Road. There is a gate to the left (on the GPS it leads to what looks like a large open field) and also a bigger gate to the right which my GPS is calling "blue trail," a horse trail If I'm not mistaken, the structure at the culdesac at the very end of Dawson forest road/Clark Road is a structure that goes several stories underground. I know where the horse camp is, it's where the fenced in hot cell building is.

It's definitely at least a little haunted haha one of my friends saw something..

Don't trust the road names on your GPS, trust me, I've been around since before GPS was a dream. :becky:

Yes, with the open field on your left, the gate on your right is River road and when you walk it for a short ways you'll hear and see the Etowah. A camping area is up that road on the left, but you have to get the keys for the gates from DNR. That road ends where a bridge use to be. The concrete part of the bridge is still there. The blue horse trail goes up that way and intersects with other trails. (Pink trail I think?)

So from there, if you go back towards the gate to the next road on your left, that's Reservoir road. Before you get there you'll pass a road on your right with a handicap sign on a tree. (See my previous message about where they air shaft is.) (All these gates are usually closed except for a deer hunt.)

Now the road on the right with the handicap sign goes a long ways and usually the gates are open. It'll take you down to a nice swimming hole on the Etowah. (Good fishing there too!)
There's many spurs on that road and you're just trying to keep to the right on the roads that are open ...

That area is the only place I've ever seen hog sign on the City of Atlanta tract.
I've taken a couple of dozen deer off this tract through the years and I know it pretty well, since I get lost every time I'm there! :becky:

Don't trust the road names on your GPS, trust me, I've been around since before GPS was a dream. :becky:

Yes, with the open field on your left, the gate on your right is River road and when you walk it for a short ways you'll hear and see the Etowah. A camping area is up that road on the left, but you have to get the keys for the gates from DNR. That road ends where a bridge use to be. The concrete part of the bridge is still there. The blue horse trail goes up that way and intersects with other trails. (Pink trail I think?)

So from there, if you go back towards the gate to the next road on your left, that's Reservoir road. Before you get there you'll pass a road on your right with a handicap sign on a tree. (See my previous message about where they air shaft is. All these gates are usually closed except for a deer hunt.)

Now the road on the right with the handicap sign goes a long ways and usually the gates are open. It'll take you down to a nice swimming hole on the Etowah. (Good fishing there too!)
There's many spurs on that road and you're just trying to keep to the right on the roads that are open ...

That area is the only place I've ever seen hog sign on the City of Atlanta tract.
I've taken a couple of dozen deer off this tract through the years and I know it pretty well, since I get lost every time I'm there! :becky:

Alright. So the road to the right at the culdesac at the end of Dawson forest road is river road. About half a mile in past the gate at the culdesac I see a structure in a very small clearing that looks like it's maybe 100 yards off the trail.

The vent shaft is off reservoir Road. So the structure I'm seeing isn't the 3x3' vent shaft beauty I'm looking at River Road, not reservoir Road.

Now I see reservoir Road. There is a tear drop shaped clearing at the end of reservoir Road ("orange trail" as it shows on my maps) and there is a circle of trees in the middle of it. The 3x3 shaft is in that wooded circle in the middle of the clearing?

Alright. So the road to the right at the culdesac at the end of Dawson forest road is river road. About half a mile in past the gate at the culdesac I see a structure in a very small clearing that looks like it's maybe 100 yards off the trail.

The vent shaft is off reservoir Road. So the structure I'm seeing isn't the 3x3' vent shaft beauty I'm looking at River Road, not reservoir Road. Correct.

Now I see reservoir Road. There is a tear drop shaped clearing at the end of reservoir Road ("orange trail" as it shows on my maps) and there is a circle of trees in the middle of it. The 3x3 shaft is in that wooded circle in the middle of the clearing? Correctamundo!

The orange trail turns to the left just short of the clearing....
Open your msg to see where I'm agreeing with you.
You have it now.... :becky:

Back
Top Bottom