• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Day 1 Purple heart...

Peltogyne, known as Purpleheart, is a genus of 23 species of flowering plants in the family Fabaceae, native to tropical regions of Central and South America, where they occur in tropical rainforests.
The trees are prized for their beautiful heartwood which, when cut, quickly turns from a dark brown to a rich purple color. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light darkens the wood to a brown color with a slight hue of the original purple. This effect can be minimized with a finish containing a UV inhibitor.

From wikipedia...

IMAG1089.jpg

This is day 3...A little deeper purple, but showing signs of the brown coming back. I think maybe too much direct sunlight caused them to oxidize too quickly. Guess I'll sand them again, and let them oxidize at thier own rate.

I had some on a 1911 a couple of years ago. Bright dark red-orangish grain separated by purple/dark blue lines. Looked great to me, but not too good to some. Good luck with them.

It will still darken/change color even after you finish it. UV protected finish will slow it down, but its going to do what its going to do.

Dont sweat it. Throw a coat of finish at it and enjoy your really nice grips.

Nice work, Geezer

Back
Top Bottom