• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Deadliest Caliber in Modern History?

Right, Im trying to think about it not just from a war perspective though. I think its 7.62x39 most likely, but I wouldnt count out 9mm.

Not knocking the 9mm, but in terms of the entire world, the sheer volume of people constantly killing each other in the 3rd world isn't widely reported. In those countries, anything other than an AK takes a village genius to operate. No joke, in some countries there are people who don't have the ability to pull a trigger without opening and closing the entire hand. They can get by with an AK/RPD/etc, but a pistol is worthless to them. This comes from a friend that has to attempt training them for security in Iraq.

I don't believe that the .22 has killed more than any other caliber. I think that is myth.

I would say a military round would own that stat.....7.62X39 MM would be my vote.
That is a legitimate statistic. Statistics being what they are, that is not proof of the lethality of the .22, but shows that a
.22 is the most common caliber owned and is used in more shootings. Keeping those facts in mind, it's a matter of numbers. Also, bear in mind that I was referring to here in the US.

Since the OP ask "Caliber" not "Cartredge" I would guess .308/7.62 would win hands down. Mostly for the firearms used on the eastern front, and acts of mass murder in WWII.

Similarly for a handgun caliber it would be .32
32 acp was in far more handguns in both WWs than 45, 8mm and 9m. It also was a "favorite" for mass murder.

Arch Duke Ferdinand was shot with a .32 - most of the mess of the 20th century followed on from that.

Last edited:
i'd read that 9mm was most in u.s. then i figured since 9mm was used by germany and others in the earlier wars.... who knows.

I was thinking that the 7.62x39 would be high up there. For the most deadly though, it seems that the german 8mm mauser would be near the top. Two World Wars and a whole bunch of conflicts in between and it's still used by some forces. The 7.62x54 is probably not far behind either...

I would have to agree that world wide 7.62x39 has been around longer and more common than any other caliber. I also have to add that in my opinion its not the caliber, but shot placement that really counts.

Back
Top Bottom