• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deadliest Caliber in Modern History?

young_shooter22

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
Although this is an insensitive question, I was wondering if any of the historians on the ODT would be able to answer my inquiry on what is the deadliest caliber(most casualties caused) in modern history (WWI to present day).

The humble musket ball did quite a lot of damage back in the day, and obviously artillery and aerial bombardment caused a large amount of wartime deaths, but what caliber would you say has been responsible for the most deaths?

Be sure to keep in mind that civilian/peacetime deaths would count as well.

Any thoughts?

Either 7.62 x 39 or 7.62 x 51 in the Post WWII era.

Between WWI and WWI it's probably pretty evenly distributed between .30-06, 7.62x54 and 8mm Mauser.

I have always heard the .22lr. Not the best stopper, but by far the most lethal. Rather than making a single wound path out of the body, it hits a bone and zigzags around until it has cut up most internal organs. Also because it is the most prevalent.

If you include civilian deaths, in the US it would be the .22. Worldwide I would agree with ngcsugrad. Especially when you start thinking of all the little brush wars.

I don't believe that the .22 has killed more than any other caliber. I think that is myth.

I would say a military round would own that stat.....7.62X39 MM would be my vote.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom