• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Deal gone horribly wrong. Opinions needed

Please do not call out members on this site, it is against site rules.

Besides ^^^ this ^^ it's poor form as well. If you have an issue with someone, go to them and work it out. If you can't seem to work something out that is fair to all parties involved, then seek legal counseling and try to go to mediation. "Trashing" someone's reputation publicly is not a class move, at least the way I was raised. After reading the entirety of your post, there does seem to be equal culpability between both parties. Unfortunately for you it is a very expensive lesson for you to learn. Sorry about your circumstances and I hope you continue to recover.

OP. my take on this...

You agreed and followed through with work/materials. Regardless of what you have in it, it sounds like you agreed to settle this once and for all with the rifle and $800. Not doing your research and proper inspection of the rifle if your fault. Maybe he misled you, but ultimately its your call as to accept that as terms of payment.

Trashing his rep will make YOU happy, but I personally think its a bad reflection of character on you too. I say write it off as lesson learned and stick to cash/deposit up front and not worry about the goats and chicken barter work if it puts you into these situations.

Another thing, how could you even commit to a deal like that without SOMETHING in writing?? A mans word is one thing, but in today's society, it doesnt mean much. If its not on paper, pretty much didn't happen. I would not touch a project like that without some type of signed disclosure and itemized list of expectations and payment arrangements. Not sure how well your mechanics lean would hold up in these circumstances. Sounds like it would just add fuel to the fire and stress you and your wife even more.

Sucks, but it is what it is....

OP. my take on this...

You agreed and followed through with work/materials. Regardless of what you have in it, it sounds like you agreed to settle this once and for all with the rifle and $800. Not doing your research and proper inspection of the rifle if your fault. Maybe he misled you, but ultimately its your call as to accept that as terms of payment.

Trashing his rep will make YOU happy, but I personally think its a bad reflection of character on you too. I say write it off as lesson learned and stick to cash/deposit up front and not worry about the goats and chicken barter work if it puts you into these situations.

Another thing, how could you even commit to a deal like that without SOMETHING in writing?? A mans word is one thing, but in today's society, it doesnt mean much. If its not on paper, pretty much didn't happen. I would not touch a project like that without some type of signed disclosure and itemized list of expectations and payment arrangements. Not sure how well your mechanics lean would hold up in these circumstances. Sounds like it would just add fuel to the fire and stress you and your wife even more.

Sucks, but it is what it is....
I agree with this too. But in OP's defense, the guy along with himself are vets and I can see why he would trust his word. Def a ****** situation though.

Back
Top Bottom