• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

deer rifle?

Old DPMS AR15 in 7.62x39 with Bushnell 3x9x40 scope sitting on carry handle. I have killed a lot of deer with this gun and Wolf HP ammo. BTW, I'm still shooting them with a battle pack I bought years ago for 500 rds for $39 . I've got a 30-06 also, but I always pick up the AR. We seldom shoot more than 75 yards and 30-40 yds are the norm in the thick woods we hunt.

Tikka T3 in 338 Federal, going to load up some Barnes TSX in 185 gr.
For muzzle loader season it'll be the T/C Firehawk in .54 with Barnes 275 .50 sabot.

I can find the chart again but 308 and 30-06 are very ballistically similar. 308 if I recall correctly was designed to put the 30-06 bullet and performance in a shorter action. In my mind, they are equal for deer.

7mm Rem mag from my Remington 710 nicknamed Voodoo by an ODT pal. Darn thing was not designed to be a 1/4 MOA shooter but she is. And does it all the way to the back of Gunsite Hills.

My favorite rifle has become my M77 MkII in 270! It is the stainless barrel with the all weather stock. I just had a Timney trigger put on it and it is sitting at about 3lbs for trigger pull. This is going to be some bad medicine for deer this year!

Back
Top Bottom