• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

deer rifle?

.270 A Bolt for me-
Every time that gun is fired at something with fur or hide, the animal lays down where it was standing and when I walk to it, somehow it has expired?...
Never have figured it out

Yeah the .270 is devastating for deer. Like a thunderbolt. Great long range or short range.

A-Bolts are great rifles. I have never shot a Browning I did not like.

I'm Left Handed and just out of High School I wanted a brand new, Stainless Left Handed .270. I didn't have Custom Shop money as Remington had discontinued regular production of a LH SS .270 in 1999. I wasn't that crazy about Browning as the newer ones were made in Japan, but my only other option was a Ruger, and at that time Ruger triggers weren't that great and Savage wasn't as well thought of as now.

That being said, my A Bolt II has been an excellent rifle. Very good handling and exceptional accuracy, and a decent factory trigger. It will be one of those that will be the last I part with. I like the A Bolt II so well, a few years later I purchased a BPS, which has been just as good a firearm in it's own right.
I've learned not to be "As" Snobby.

hseII

I'm Left Handed and just out of High School I wanted a brand new, Stainless Left Handed .270. I didn't have Custom Shop money as Remington had discontinued regular production of a LH SS .270 in 1999. I wasn't that crazy about Browning as the newer ones were made in Japan, but my only other option was a Ruger, and at that time Ruger triggers weren't that great and Savage wasn't as well thought of as now.

That being said, my A Bolt II has been an excellent rifle. Very good handling and exceptional accuracy, and a decent factory trigger. It will be one of those that will be the last I part with. I like the A Bolt II so well, a few years later I purchased a BPS, which has been just as good a firearm in it's own right.
I've learned not to be "As" Snobby.

hseII

My Dad gave me my BAR when I was 14 years old. I have never needed another deer rifle but I have acquired a couple more rifles over the years. I have a BLR in 7mag that I love but I have never even hunted with it because I prefer my .270. It is the only gun I own that I can honestly say I will never, ever part with. My .270 was made in Belgium. My BLR was made in Japan. Still, it is a fine piece.

Nothing "snobby" about wanting to buy American, brother. My only problem is I have yet to find an American made rifle I like as much as a Browning. I hate to say that. I'm just being honest.

The Brownings I've shot have been very accurate. I've always wanted an 81 BLR in 308. I don't even know why; my .270 does such a great Job as a deer rifle. I guess it's just the look of them

Last edited:
The Brownings I've shot have been very accurate. I've always wanted an 81 BLR in 308. I don't even know why; my .270 does such a great Job as a deer rifle. I guess it's just the look of them

I lucked into a used 81 BLR in 308 for $440 - was kinda worried about the thin barrel, but that has not proven to be an issue. I LOVE MINE.

Back
Top Bottom