• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off Topic but worth of mentioning.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently. He was training to be a Chattanooga Police Officer, was going to the academy, doing ride-alongs and was all Gung ho and supportive of the police department in general?

Please explain this!

"I am so glad I did not take the job as a police officer
here in chatt (or anywhere else) for many reasons.
The number one reason is they are trained to not tell
you about your rights. They prey on your ignorance
to get what they want. That is dishonest!
I would not have lasted long as a PO.
Know your rights ppl !!"

Last edited:
Wha? The idea of searching a white guy might have been absurd... depending on the neighborhood.

Depends on the location. There was a lot of panic over revolvers when they started showing up. It was like people were carrying full auto machine guns. In some ways our current culture is actually more accepting of firearms, just look at CCW laws.

Even as late as the sixties, there was no cause for alarm if a 8 year old was walking with a .22 slung on his shoulder. Before the NFA, you could walk into a hardware store and buy a Thompson.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently. He was training to be a Chattanooga Police Officer, was going to the academy, doing ride-alongs and was all Gung ho and supportive of the police department in general?

While I have come to know some fine LEO's worked with many and married a very good one (the rest of her sucked), I was in the ride-along phase well over 30 years ago and what occurred one night at 2 am is the reason that I enlisted in the Marine Corps and decided against that field. I was very young and should have spoken up but regretfully did not.

Off to Parris Island instead.

While I have come to know some fine LEO's worked with many and married a very good one (the rest of her sucked), I was in the ride-along phase well over 30 years ago and what occurred one night at 2 am is the reason that I enlisted in the Marine Corps and decided against that field. I was very young and should have spoken up but regretfully did not.
Off to Parris Island instead.
You think anything would have happened if you had?

You think anything would have happened if you had?

I was a newbie that had only been a cadet with that PD so I would have been ignored BUT the head of the program was an incredibly honest and even tempered LEO, so you never know. There were no cameras or recorded contacts at that time (and no POST in that state)

Last edited:
Legislative policies and poor rulings by the courts have generated this adversarial relationship between law enforcement and the citizenry. 200 years ago the idea of searching someone just to make sure they weren't hiding something would have been absurd. Even last century, if you called the station and told them a guy was walking down the street with a gun, the response would have been "and?".

You can "community outreach" until you are blue in the face but when the law dictates 4th amendment violations and the courts hold it up, there is going to be some animosity there.

You mix that with the natural keyboard commandos, anarchists, paranoid, and tin foil hats on the internet and they might as well be pissing in the wind.

I prefer the terms "Well learned" and "quick study"

and regarding the 'arrested 100 times' just because someone was arrested doesn't make them guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom