• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dirtbike Maintenance

do the basics. change the oil in the crank case. check your air filter and make sure that it is clean and oiled. Maybe buy an extra air filter or two so you can change them often.

get a good 2 stroke oil from a motorcycle shop or online (cycle gear, rocky mountain ATV, etc) and mix it in the proper mix for your bike (check online, should be good sources of into there, or find a copy of the original owners manual).

check bearings and make sure they are good (wheels, give them a shake side to side when the wheels are off the ground, headset (get front end up and try to move side to side), swingarm).

pull gas tank and empty fuel and maybe flush it out, check to make sure the carb is clean and it's running right (check spark plugs for color after you have run it in a bit).

That's probably the basics AFAIK.

You can but most of those dirt bikes run better at 40:1...so maybe 7 oz of mixing oil in 2 gallons. Run high test gas...92 to 93 octane...leaded if you can find it.

Make sure when you change crankcase oil that the oil you put in is rated for motorcycles. Regular car oil won’t work. Years ago I alway used Full Bore oils. But now with my grandsons dirt bikes and my 4whlrs I just run Honda oils. Yamalube may be your friend. Ran it in my bass boat with no problems. Have fun

Back
Top Bottom