Distilled water shortage...

Ditto….I am an ASE certified Master Tech…always have used tap water to mix antifreeze. This is the first I have ever heard of someone using distilled water in a radiator ! Lol.
Doesn’t it make more sense to use distilled water?

Tap/hose water contains minerals that can build up in the radiator core, no?

Had to replace a water pump on one of my vehicles today.

Bought a couple gallons of concentrated coolant at walmart, planning to mix it myself (no premixed on the shelf anyway...). Went over to the water aisle. No distilled water...

Thought oh well, stopped by the dollar general on the way home. Again, no distilled water. Drove past my home to the DG just north of us. No distilled water.

Wound up driving back to town to the auto store to buy premixed (they didn't have a lot on the shelf...) Total waste of time driving.

Got the car running again and just sat down and typed in distilled water shortage into google. Good grief there are pages of the topic. What's going on?
You can find it at Walmart in the infant department, with formula

Ditto….I am an ASE certified Master Tech…always have used tap water to mix antifreeze. This is the first I have ever heard of someone using distilled water in a radiator ! Lol.
I always did too. Then I got an old Land Rover and was told that because of the aluminum blocks and the material used for the head gaskets, tap water wasn't a good idea and that I should stick to distilled water if I mixed my own...

Was I duped? Wouldn't be the first time.

I learned the hard way that well water isn’t a friend to Ford radiators (bought Ford’s after the gov bailed out Chevy in 2008-2009…back to Chevy now). I was also in Publix yesterday looking for distilled water. I was told with kidney stones that’s the only water to drink? Worth a shot if you’ve ever experienced a kidney stone. None in Publix & no shelf tags. Might be an issue for a while. Didn’t check the baby dept though. I was thinking that was purified not distilled for some reason?

Doesn’t it make more sense to use distilled water?

Tap/hose water contains minerals that can build up in the radiator core, no?
I always did too. Then I got an old Land Rover and was told that because of the aluminum blocks and the material used for the head gaskets, tap water wasn't a good idea and that I should stick to distilled water if I mixed my own...

Was I duped? Wouldn't be the first time.
Tap water generally doesnt do that much damage, if any to the radiator or block as long as the right mixture of coolant was used. The scale is going to build no matter. It can be slowed using a good coolant but it will still build up.
I try to change the coolant once a year, drain and fill with a 60/40 mix of a good brand of coolant.
using distilled is an ok idea, you really don’t need that much with the coolant, you are talking maybe a gallon plus ??

Can’t be that hard to make it at home

Set up a pot of boiling water with a oversized lid tilted to let the water drip into a shorter pot sitting right next to the stove eye ?

Speaking of eggs…I never buy groceries but wife has Covid…when did eggs get to $5 a dozen…dang
Same here. My mother in law was complaining about the price and I just assumed she was buying the “free-range, hormone free, super organic” eggs. So, I checked and sure as $hit the cheap store brand eggs were $6 a dozen. Wtf. They used be $1.29. I don’t see how those independent/moderate voters don’t see how bad the current regime is destroying our economy…for no good reason. Well, I guess they do have a reason but ignorant Americans refuse to acknowledge the evidence.

Back
Top Bottom